Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I moved to Melbourne 3 years ago with my husband from Dubai (lived there all my life).

Am looking for anyone who has done the same. It would be lovely to catch up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi,

We live in UAE and hold an Australian PR. We visited Melbourne in April 2012.

We found everything to be so different. Things are expensive as well. Also shops / malls closing at 6 PM was another shocker. We felt it to be depressing!. Compare it with Dubai ... at 6pm the day is just half way through!

I was just wondering how is your experience there? In your opinion which place is better at the end of the day?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi there, Sharmah and Deluxans,
We are from Dubai as well, but just applied for 175 and waiting for allocation. By the meantime, since you guys have been settled there in MEL, tell me something honestly...
Do you like MEL or prefer Dubai? What things do you find great here in Dubai which cannot be compared at all in MEL and the same vice versa ? Jobwise, tension wise, familywise, shopping, Cars, taxes, freedom, pets, beaches, Attitudes & complexes (as we face with the arabs here) :p
govt problems / easy or difficult as in here.
I really appreciate your advice for the above as it would really really really help us in getting to know more, BUT definetely no turning back. We have applied and will definetely move there :) Just want to know what to expect and what not to .. :)
Thanks and regards
Raj

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi,

We found everything to be so different. Things are expensive as well. Also shops / malls closing at 6 PM was another shocker. We felt it to be depressing!. Compare it with Dubai ... at 6pm the day is just half way through!

I was just wondering how is your experience there? In your opinion which place is better at the end of the day?
Both lives are different and good/bad in their own way, it’s hard to compare oranges with apples :)

End of the day it comes to personal choice & priorities. I have lived in Asia, Europe, Dubai and soon moving to Melbourne ... no doubt life in ME & Asia are very dynamic with late night activities (typical of warmer places) as compared to Europe, Australia etc. but for sure Australia would offer things which Dubai won’t

May be you didn’t live in Europe so Oz experience was a shocker to you?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey I'm living in dxb since over a year now, moving to Melbourne in September.....
Don't know what's in store for me.....but I'm looking forward to the new way of life....
I'm currently waiting for my visa to come through, got a job offer, waiting and watching.

Dubai life is great, made loads of friends, did a load of stuff, closer to home, great food, and it's very INDIAN in a lot of ways.....
It is perfect home away from home offering best of both worlds....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dubai is one of the best places I ever lived in. I'm interested to know the differences between life in Dubai and life in Australia

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi there, Sharmah and Deluxans,
We are from Dubai as well, but just applied for 175 and waiting for allocation. By the meantime, since you guys have been settled there in MEL, tell me something honestly...
Do you like MEL or prefer Dubai? What things do you find great here in Dubai which cannot be compared at all in MEL and the same vice versa ? Jobwise, tension wise, familywise, shopping, Cars, taxes, freedom, pets, beaches, Attitudes & complexes (as we face with the arabs here) :p
govt problems / easy or difficult as in here.
I really appreciate your advice for the above as it would really really really help us in getting to know more, BUT definetely no turning back. We have applied and will definetely move there :) Just want to know what to expect and what not to .. :)
Thanks and regards
Raj
Amraj ... I still live is UAE. I visited Australia just to fulfill the requirement of first entry before a specific date.

Job-wise: I work in Oil and Gas. Over the last 8 months, I am not able to find something very attractive. Don't know the work culture there. People tell me it's relaxed but not as much as Middle East

Tension- Its something to give and never to take :)

Shopping: Expensive - Expensive - Expensive

Cars: 1.5 times of UAE Price. Petrol 3.5 times of UAE price.

Taxes: 30 to 40% but good benefits from Govt.

Freedom, Pets, Beaches: Excellent

Attitudes & complexes: Its your call and depends upon the person.

Govt: I assume very nice.

Family: Excellent

The great thing about Dubai is you never feel abroad. The great thing about Australia is that the life is realistic there. Much lesser class divide than India or Middle East.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dubai is one of the best places I ever lived in. I'm interested to know the differences between life in Dubai and life in Australia
Hi Unixguy, UAE despite of being very modern, is very eastern. Australia is same as west. You will find numerous posts on web detailing the differences.

All I saw during my stay there is that you find people from everywhere in the world living there. And of course you find food from all over the world.

·
Registered
34 Posts
at least shops are open on Sundays :)

after being in Europe for 8 years, going to the grocery store on a Sunday is such a relief

However
Hi,

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Every one.

I have lived in Dubai for 7 years and enjoyed every bit of it, what I dislike about Dubai is there is no outdoor life and for 8 months temperatures are above 43+

and I want my kid to grow up in a nice climate with lots of outdoor activities and hence leaving for Sydney on Sept 5TH. Hope all goes well.

Reactions: amraj1982

·
Registered
148 Posts
Amraj ... I still live is UAE. I visited Australia just to fulfill the requirement of first entry before a specific date.

Job-wise: I work in Oil and Gas. Over the last 8 months, I am not able to find something very attractive. Don't know the work culture there. People tell me it's relaxed but not as much as Middle East

Tension- Its something to give and never to take :)

Shopping: Expensive - Expensive - Expensive

Cars: 1.5 times of UAE Price. Petrol 3.5 times of UAE price.

Taxes: 30 to 40% but good benefits from Govt.

Freedom, Pets, Beaches: Excellent

Attitudes & complexes: Its your call and depends upon the person.

Govt: I assume very nice.

Family: Excellent

The great thing about Dubai is you never feel abroad. The great thing about Australia is that the life is realistic there. Much lesser class divide than India or Middle East.
Hei deluxan,
thanks for the tip mate... really appreciate it.. so once u get hold of a good job, u will move in permanently.. right?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Every one.

I have lived in Dubai for 7 years and enjoyed every bit of it, what I dislike about Dubai is there is no outdoor life and for 8 months temperatures are above 43+

and I want my kid to grow up in a nice climate with lots of outdoor activities and hence leaving for Sydney on Sept 5TH. Hope all goes well.
I agree with you srikanth :) thats excatly what everyone needs...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi guys. I recently received my Victoria state sponsorship and my wife and I are expecting to move to Melbourne from Dubai by next year. Can you recommend a good cargo service from Dubai to Oz? Which stuff were you able to bring with you? I've been checking online Australian electronic stores and it seems that gadgets here are much cheaper and more updated.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
metaform said:
Hi guys. I recently received my Victoria state sponsorship and my wife and I are expecting to move to Melbourne from Dubai by next year. Can you recommend a good cargo service from Dubai to Oz? Which stuff were you able to bring with you? I've been checking online Australian electronic stores and it seems that gadgets here are much cheaper and more updated.

Thanks for any advice.
Electronics are cheaper in Dubai you mean compared to Oz? Can you please share these websites? ... I have to get a new TV so need to finalize it. I am more inclined to get the TV over there due to warranty, most TVs sold in Dubai don't come with international warranty

I am moving to Melbourne in Oct'12, my company is arranging the the move of all my household, I can share this info once I have it. Furniture is expensive over there in Oz, so do get what you can from here.

May be someone from the forum can suggest what else is good to bring along to Oz? :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: Comparison between Dubai and Oz

For starters, unless you're an Emirati, everything in Dubai is temporary. All those nightlife and fancy cars and dining out will end when you reach that point that you can no longer work and the country has no use for you anymore. I'm 30. I'm enjoying the lifestyle here but at the end of the day, I need a place on which to settle down and raise a family.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Electronics are cheaper in Dubai you mean compared to Oz? Can you please share these websites? ... I have to get a new TV so need to finalize it. I am more inclined to get the TV over there due to warranty, most TVs sold in Dubai don't come with international warranty
I've been checking out JB Hi Fi - Buy Cheap TVs, Computers, Laptops, iPads, iPhones, Mobile Phones, Home Theatre, Music, Movies, Musical Instruments, Games & Game Consoles. and Great deals on Apple ipods, laptops, notebooks, 3D TV, LCD and Plasma | Dick Smith Online Shopping. They are carrying non-famous brands (or at least ones I'm not familiar with). Samsung TVs are at least 1000 dirhams more expensive. The must be more electronic shops there that sell good brands at reasonable price.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've been checking out JB Hi Fi - Buy Cheap TVs, Computers, Laptops, iPads, iPhones, Mobile Phones, Home Theatre, Music, Movies, Musical Instruments, Games & Game Consoles. and Great deals on Apple ipods, laptops, notebooks, 3D TV, LCD and Plasma | Dick Smith Online Shopping. They are carrying non-famous brands (or at least ones I'm not familiar with). Samsung TVs are at least 1000 dirhams more expensive. The must be more electronic shops there that sell good brands at reasonable price.
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hey i am probably going to be moving to melbourne in October....
Could someone let me know the below....

I will be brining in only essentials from Dubai, clothes etc, electronics I will sell here and buy new in Melbourne.
Which is the best cargo company to send my goods thru to Australia.....any packaging tips or things to keep in mind.

Are there any restricted items which one can list out, which will not be allowed to enter Australia.....typically food items I guess.

I'm of the opinion that I should just get my clothes....and buy kitchen, home furniture etc once I'm there....any advice?

I've tried to keep things very limited in Dubai and have been disposing off things as and when not needed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey i am probably going to be moving to melbourne in October....
Could someone let me know the below....

I will be brining in only essentials from Dubai, clothes etc, electronics I will sell here and buy new in Melbourne.
Which is the best cargo company to send my goods thru to Australia.....any packaging tips or things to keep in mind.

Are there any restricted items which one can list out, which will not be allowed to enter Australia.....typically food items I guess.

I'm of the opinion that I should just get my clothes....and buy kitchen, home furniture etc once I'm there....any advice?

I've tried to keep things very limited in Dubai and have been disposing off things as and when not needed.
Australia takes the Quarantine very seriously and any biological material is subject to inspection (Can be expensive and time consuming) before it can be allowed into Australia.

Examples of biological materials (or things containing it) could be Wood, Seeds, Plants, Food, Vacuum Cleaner Bag, Mattress etc etc etc.

I would personally carry as less as possible and buy things there.

After the cost of transportation / quarantine inspection and treatment fees / damages in transit / lost warranties I am not sure if its worth all these issues to ship everything to Australia.

For more info on Quarantine visit www (.) daff (.) gov (.) au/aqis/travel

1 - 20 of 135 Posts