Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I hope you are well.

I am seeking some advice from others who have a large family that have taken the step to migrate from Australia > Canada.

My husband is a Canadian Citizen and I am australian as well as our 4 children and while he has travelled the world I have been in Australia from dot :-D...

Our children are 4,3,2,1 years old and I am seeking some advice, pointers about what to expect plane flight wise with 4 little people.

I know it can be done, but having only flown interstate (with one many years ago) + road trips with them all.... don't quite know what to expect on such a long plane flight.

Should I be packing a case of age appropriate things for the kids to do, does the 'inflight' entertainment allow the playing of individual DVD's or should we be packing their portable dvd players??

Do the 'families' with young children get put in 'particular' spots within the plane? such as for easy access to change facilities... how did you go with Milk (4 kids all have bottles (lunch/bedtime + a few more for the youngest) and on a plane for 17 odd hours that's probably more than what would be carried lol :tongue1:

As for food for our baby, are there rules on what you can and can't bring on board with you?

My husband is also bringing his dog over as well as his FJ40!! Are rental properties hard to source for large families with a pet?

I'd done a plethora of research on the various regions and communities within Calgary and also the schools from the CBE website and we've narrowed down a few family orientated suburbs. Worst case we may need to stay in a hotel/motel/B&B until we find something.

There's loads more research / information I am finding out as well as obtaining some great info from this site...

if anyone can share some advice/tips/pointers on moving with a large family or even if you have a few kids, I'd love to hear what you did & how it went :-D

Thanks,

Lolla

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi All,
I hope you are well.

I am seeking some advice from others who have a large family that have taken the step to migrate from Australia > Canada.

My husband is a Canadian Citizen and I am australian as well as our 4 children and while he has travelled the world I have been in Australia from dot :-D...

Our children are 4,3,2,1 years old and I am seeking some advice, pointers about what to expect plane flight wise with 4 little people.

I know it can be done, but having only flown interstate (with one many years ago) + road trips with them all.... don't quite know what to expect on such a long plane flight.

Should I be packing a case of age appropriate things for the kids to do, does the 'inflight' entertainment allow the playing of individual DVD's or should we be packing their portable dvd players??

Do the 'families' with young children get put in 'particular' spots within the plane? such as for easy access to change facilities... how did you go with Milk (4 kids all have bottles (lunch/bedtime + a few more for the youngest) and on a plane for 17 odd hours that's probably more than what would be carried lol :tongue1:

As for food for our baby, are there rules on what you can and can't bring on board with you?

My husband is also bringing his dog over as well as his FJ40!! Are rental properties hard to source for large families with a pet?

I'd done a plethora of research on the various regions and communities within Calgary and also the schools from the CBE website and we've narrowed down a few family orientated suburbs. Worst case we may need to stay in a hotel/motel/B&B until we find something.

There's loads more research / information I am finding out as well as obtaining some great info from this site...

if anyone can share some advice/tips/pointers on moving with a large family or even if you have a few kids, I'd love to hear what you did & how it went :-D

Thanks,

Lolla
Hi
I would suggest a bag of colours,puzzles,games,books.All things the kids havent played with before. things that are cheap and small and not too heavy to carry.then every hour or so you can give them something new that will occupy their minds for a bit.
I gave the kids their own bags to bring on board and wish i hadnt to be honest.great for heading off to the airport when everyone is excited and full of energy but not good when getting off airplane after a long flight. both of my boys were too tired and grumpy .so i had to carry their bags plus my own two.not too easy.so def try and keep it to the min.now if your hubby is with you will be easier. i was flying on my own with my boys and had to get a connecting flight as well.
also i bought the boys new headphones.kids ones that would be more comfortable than the in flight ones.
you can pick your own movies from the in flight package at any time.i was going to bring their own poerable dvds but considering the batteries would only last 3 hrs didnt thing it was worth it. and was right,plenty of choice,you can usually check whats on offer on your flight the week before you fly on their website.
i did bring some fruit and sandwiches for the boys.but they didnt eat a lot to be honest.
also some medicine .one of my boys started a temp on flight.so was good that i had brought some on board.
to be honest i wasnt looking forward to the flight with 2 4 yr olds on my own but they did really well. the hardest part was def getting them off one plane and getting them to the next one,which was then delayed by 4 hrs!.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will be flying with a one yr old and a 5 yr old I'm not too bothered about the older one but really cant see what I can bring to occupy a 1yr old on a long flight?? Any suggestions would be great guys

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.