Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Frigiliania

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  BobfromFrance 
#1 ·
Hi Again,

We are actually moving to Frigiliania at the year end. Any views on this as a place to live?

Many thanks

#2 ·
Not personally, however a distant cousin and wife lived there for many years and loved every moment of their time there and on the few occasions I visited I could see why, beautiful location and seemed a most friendly place with good interaction between locals and the expat community. Good luck and hope all works out well with the move.

#3 ·
It's a very beautiful village and one we like to visit, we always take family and friends who come to stay with us there. But for me personally, I would not choose it as a place to live for a few reasons. One, the sheer number of tourists (and they come year round) can mean a lot of congestion especially on the road from and to Nerja. Two, it's very hilly and it's hard work going up and down the streets especially in hot summer weather. Three, I don't drive and although there is quite a good bus service during the day between Frigiliana and Nerja, it stops early in the evening and because of the number of tourists using it the buses are usually very crowded sometimes to the point of not being able to get on. Ùsing public transport, you have to get to Nerja before you can go anywhere else from Frigiliana Four, although there are shops in the village, for things like major supermarket shopping, it's necessary to go to Nerja or elsewhere.

#5 ·
I live about 10 minutes drive from Frigiliana (or Friggers as we call it to ease the typing fingers). It really is a quite stunning village which is why it is so popular with tourists. My OH has just finished a complete garden design and furniture make-over for a Swedish family who have bought an apartment as a holiday home. They have four children, the youngest is two, but they totally accept the 86 step climb from the road to the apartment. Friggers has so many things going for it, not least of which is the annual Three Cultures Festival (Tres Culturas) which starts next week on 24th. But therein is the real problem with living there. If you have or need a car you will find parking extremely difficult especially in the summer months. There is a multi story car park and I believe you can rent a space there but depending on how far your accommodation is from either the main road or the car park, carrying shopping can be a bit of a bore. Of course, some accommodation (not much) comes with it's own private parking space which is a huge bonus. Another big bonus is the addition of so many new and excellent restaurants. Most of these are located just off the main plaza where the weekly market is held. Only two years ago most of this space was empty but now it is a thriving and exciting place to spend an evening - or all day if you have the stamina!!! Enjoy your stay and whatever the outcome I know you will fall in love with Friggers...

#8 ·
Well living outside town is most definitely a solution. There are plenty of lovely homes just outside. Are you buying or renting? We always recommend renting as a first option for at least a year in case it turns out the location isn't for you...

#9 ·
Friggers

Apologies for the late response but I have been off-line. We are going to rent, at first, as you suggest. Could you recommend the best network for mobile and internet.By rthe way, my husband and I were there in August on a Monday evening, at one of the restaurants in the centre near the entrance to the multi storey car park and there was a table of local expats who clearly met often. I wonder if you are one of them?

#10 ·
Hi, no it wasn't me!! One of the restaurants we use is Plaza 45 which has some really good tapas. Also the Polish restaurant at the far end has some really clever dishes... We use Yoigo for mobile and Broadband 4 Spain for internet. With regards to internet, as you will know, Friggers is a very hilly place and surrounded by mountains so it will depend on whether or not the provider can see where you live. So, when looking for a place to rent make sure you can be seen by an ISP and don't believe anything the agent or owner tells you. On the BB4S website you can ask them to check the location and they will tell you if they think they can provide for you.

#12 ·
I had a very lucky escape with Frigiliana

When we viewed properties there I thought the village was breathtakingly beautiful, restaurants amazing, views totally stunning and some local properties perfect. I absolutely adored the place

Luckily however my wife pointed out that I didn't -so we opted for elsewhere

#14 ·
Most of us have learned to ignore Rabbitcat and his wife's views. Also, he thinks he is from Ireland and he thinks he lives in kiribati when we all know the reverse is the truth. And just how the devil are you Mr Rabbit Cat??

Are you planning to visit Friggers again before your move? Happy to meet up to offer advice if you would like...

#15 ·
Forgot to mention that if you would like to meet then use the PM service on here. It does exactly what it says on the pack - it's private so we can share contact details etc...

#19 ·
I know of a Spanish lawyer who is fluent in English. I'll get his contact details and PM you. There is also a very good firm of lawyers based in Nerja called De Cotta Law. Google them and you will find all their details.

#21 ·
Don't be silly, of course you are not indebted to me. Well, maybe a bit. Let's see, my hourly rate for giving advice is ridiculous so I tend to give people my secondly rate which is 2,500 euros per second. Now, when I have done the calculation I will get straight back to you.... you will have time for a cuppa while you wait...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.