Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm a newbie here but thought that I would see if I get any response to my enquiry.

My husband and I are both retired college lecturers and live in Les Landes. We would appreciate corresponding/meeting like minded people.

We love living here and do have friends - both French and English. However, we are becoming increasingly depressed and stressed by the racist views of some of the Brits living here. (Of course, they would say that they are not racist, etc. etc.) If you are in a similar position to us then you will understand my meaning.

I've no desire to get into any sort of wrangle on this forum about racism or anything else but would just like to increase our circle of friends.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If that is any consolation, I don't think it is just the Brits, it seems the NF is now totally mainstream and accepted. I'm French but not living (not leaving, freudian slip?) in France and every time I visit it leaves me with a sad feeling especially when it comes from people I've known all my life and who were absolutely fine growing up (or so it seemed). They all swear blind that it is only because 'everyone is fed up with all the spongers' and they are not really racist.
It is one of the few points that worries me about moving back as I fear it could influence my kids (in the same way I see it affecting my friends/family's kids

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If that is any consolation, I don't think it is just the Brits, it seems the NF is now totally mainstream and accepted. I'm French but not living (not leaving, freudian slip?) in France and every time I visit it leaves me with a sad feeling especially when it comes from people I've known all my life and who were absolutely fine growing up (or so it seemed). They all swear blind that it is only because 'everyone is fed up with all the spongers' and they are not really racist.
It is one of the few points that worries me about moving back as I fear it could influence my kids (in the same way I see it affecting my friends/family's kids

Thank you for replying to my message. It is good to know that there are other like minded and concerned people out there.

I can see how you would be worried about adverse influences upon your children.
However, I am sure that your children will be influenced by you and your rational and decent responses to uninformed and prejudiced views.

I fear the rise of such views throughout the European Union and the way in which they are gaining in 'respectabilty' because uttered by otherwise seemingly kind and thoughtful people. Here's an example of prejudice for you:

My son lives in Italy and has some good Italian friends. One was complaining about immigrants being idle, ruining the country, etc. etc. when my son said 'but I'm an immigrant'. 'Oh' was the reply 'but I didn't mean you'. Of course not! My son works, is well educated and white. Quite funny if not so chilling. I rest my case.

I would be interested to know how Belgiums tend to react to racist comments.

Thank you again for your response.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Hmmmm .... is it racist? or is it closing ranks given the present economic climate?

hils

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm .... is it racist? or is it closing ranks given the present economic climate?

hils
Yes, of course it is a closing of ranks. Times of economic crisis historically engender nationalist, tribal beliefs that it is 'the others', 'the incomers' who are causing all the problems.

You have only to read history to see that the curse of xenophobia has been the cause of wars and bloodshed in the past and continues so to this day.

Racism is not only directed at nonwhites but also people with identifiable charateristics and lifestyles, e.g. the Roma, the Jews, the Slavs, the Irish. Of course it does cut both ways and white Europeans can also be discriminated against, sometimes with deadly results.

I would like to think that one day humankind will live in one world where national boundaries do not exist and agriculture, manufacturing and all economic activity are are organised so that no-one goes hungry or without medical aid. Oh yes, fundamentalist religions (all sorts) will have lost their appeal, homophobia and racism will be seen as the rather silly aberrations of unintelligent people.

Well that's a Utopian dream and a half! I'll now get off my soap box and say 'Good Night'.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.