Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2009 Electrolux side by side has been making phantom growling noise or a howling sound on and off for 2 years and now today a burning smell but no smoke.

I asked a technician a couple months back if they had an idea what was going on and they didn't give any good information on what the noise was, this same technician was bragging that he was called to fix an AC unit for another expat, same technician was with one of our in-laws, he never did return, I also asked if there was a panel I could open for cleaning and check and he said no, my kind of fridge doesn't have this option... Lol, he didn't seem to know where to look.

Today just returned from the grocery store with 5,000 pesos in meat and the fridge really acted up :eek: with noise and started making a burning smell but no smoke, I shut the fridge off and opened up the back lower panel for the first time out of desperation and found that the coils were full of lint and dust so I cleaned with my air compressor but no luck the noise and burning smell was still there, had my wife call another technician and he found the problem right away, it was the tiny fan that cools off the coils, the little fan motor makes a huge noise, like a growling sound and fan is barely turning, he grabbed the fan and this noise stopped, it took us a long time to get this tiny fan out and it needs new bearings or bushings, but technician won't have it until tomorrow afternoon, so in the meantime I'm using my house fan (technicians idea) to cool the coils, fridge is working, I can't afford to lose this much meat. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Update on my fridge, the technician returned with the fan motor and he had changed out two bushings and the connector for the fan was burned, we didn't notice this until we tried to connect it today so he took out this coupling, hardwired the unit and so the burning smell was coming from this connection and the odd noise from the small fan motor was due to the worn out bushings, total cost was 1000 pesos.

·
Super Moderator
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Repaired the fridge

Well at least you got out of it without costing a fortune and you didn't lose that expensive meat.

Fred
Real lucky we found a technician that got right to it and knew what he was doing, I couldn't imagine having to buy another fridge this size.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My 2009 Electrolux side by side has been making phantom growling noise or a howling sound on and off for 2 years and now today a burning smell but no smoke.

I asked a technician a couple months back if they had an idea what was going on and they didn't give any good information on what the noise was, this same technician was bragging that he was called to fix an AC unit for another expat, same technician was with one of our in-laws, he never did return, I also asked if there was a panel I could open for cleaning and check and he said no, my kind of fridge doesn't have this option... Lol, he didn't seem to know where to look.

Today just returned from the grocery store with 5,000 pesos in meat and the fridge really acted up :eek: with noise and started making a burning smell but no smoke, I shut the fridge off and opened up the back lower panel for the first time out of desperation and found that the coils were full of lint and dust so I cleaned with my air compressor but no luck the noise and burning smell was still there, had my wife call another technician and he found the problem right away, it was the tiny fan that cools off the coils, the little fan motor makes a huge noise, like a growling sound and fan is barely turning, he grabbed the fan and this noise stopped, it took us a long time to get this tiny fan out and it needs new bearings or bushings, but technician won't have it until tomorrow afternoon, so in the meantime I'm using my house fan (technicians idea) to cool the coils, fridge is working, I can't afford to lose this much meat. :)
5000 peses is a lot of meat, so I assume that it was the freezer you were concerned to get working.

·
Super Moderator
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Freezer and Fridge Combination

5000 peses is a lot of meat, so I assume that it was the freezer you were concerned to get working.
I'm not sure the exact name for our fridge and freezer but I remember in the states they went by the name side by side refrigerator, it's a freezer on the left side and on the right side a fridge, it's huge, I can really stock up meat items and I do, especially on sales or every blue moon, we live next to Laguna de Bay, a fish pen gets damaged and the fish get out and they local fisherman will sell this dirt cheap, and these are the largest Milk Fish I've ever seen, they taste great cooked on the BBQ.

Here's a photo of a newer model but the same size, mine is a 2009 model.

Attachments

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm not sure the exact name for our fridge and freezer but I remember in the states they went by the name side by side refrigerator, it's a freezer on the left side and on the right side a fridge, it's huge, I can really stock up meat items and I do, especially on sales or every blue moon, we live next to Laguna de Bay, a fish pen gets damaged and the fish get out and they local fisherman will sell this dirt cheap, and these are the largest Milk Fish I've ever seen, they taste great cooked on the BBQ.

Here's a photo of a newer model but the same size, mine is a 2009 model.
What do you do when the dreaded blackouts (called on here brownouts) occur?

·
Super Moderator
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Power outages

What do you do when the dreaded blackouts (called on here brownouts) occur?
Power outages were a huge problem back in 1993- 97 (Luzon but this all ended 2003, it's rare now that we have a 6-hour blackout, this has only happened 4 times since I've returned in 2010 and the freezer keeps cold if full.

Same time my wife (I was working stateside) bought the huge fridge she bought another gas stove, now I wished she had bought an electric oven and stove top, we don't use gas anymore but for years gas was the main option due to running power outages, in 93 the power would be out for 8 hours every day. But back then we had to also use the municipalities phone to make calls stateside, our first option for a phone line at the house didn't come till 95 and Internet access didn't reach us till 2010.

The same technician that fixed our fridge is going to fix our huge (tube) TV next week, it's been sitting in storage for 6 years, we'll use that in visitor living room area but, he can't fix the new HD TV screens, two in storage but, someday I am 100% confident that we will run into someone that can.

Learning lessons on the technician is that they have a specialty and can repair certain appliances only but to allow any technician to fix something is a huge mistake, they end up damaging or ruining the appliance, I need an induction cooker fixed also the top plate is cracked, it's in storage waiting. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts