Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have searched the forums and had a look at the excruciating long list on TimeOut, but still not sure which brunch to go for. Thought I'd post my 'requirements' here and perhaps some of you know the perfect brunch for us (and/or can give some feedback on recent visits, good or bad). :)

- not crowded with children
- not crowded with drunk people
- not too crowded in general, like you have to queue 10 min for everything
- good selection from vegetarian to steaks (I'm quasi vegan/vegetarian and he doesn't think a meal is a meal unless there are as many animals in there as possible :p)

I also have to say that I'm shocked at the prices here in Dubai. In Qatar, for example, the friday brunch at the Ritz-Carlton is 250 QAR (same as AED) including bubbles (not proper champagne). The prices here for similar brunches is at least double! So something mid-range would be good, although I've considered both Al Qasr or Bubbalicious. They are quite expensive though and I've read that the queue can get pretty long at the latter.

Any tips from recent visits would be highly appreciated!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then in all honesty I would say brunch is not for you - given that the sole purposes of most brunches is for people to drink and get as plastered as they can in four hours flat.
Haha, perhaps not... I haven't been to any friday brunches in Dubai yet, but the ones we went to in Qatar were usually quite good - and perhaps it's because Doha is stricter but you normally wouldn't see people falling off chairs or stumbling about (except for the one where they served tequila... they had to take it off the menu though, lol). ;)

In all seriousness, we have no issues with a few drunk people here and there, but I've heard of brunches that tend to be more of a party than anything else, like Yalumba, and those we'll avoid.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
try the Wharf?

the Wharf is a pork-fest, but you get to eat from the Mina a salam next door too, which is a far more 'worldly' affair.
Might suit both of you!

·
Registered
41 Posts
There are several places you can try for brunch if you are not looking for the typical dubai brunch scene. Media one hotel, Mina salom, raffles hotel etc. Just stay away from places lime double decker, saffron, warehouse and bubbalicious

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Bab al Shams do a great brunch.
very relaxed.
This is often the brunch we take visitors to.

No crazy kids high on candy floss, either!. There are kids there, but they get a camel and a pony to ride, and kites to fly at the end of the meal.

25% discount if you have an NBD credit card..

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
try the Wharf?

the Wharf is a pork-fest, but you get to eat from the Mina a salam next door too, which is a far more 'worldly' affair.
Might suit both of you!
Mina A'Salam was one I was considering from the TimeOut list, so this might be perfect yes, thanks!

There are several places you can try for brunch if you are not looking for the typical dubai brunch scene. Media one hotel, Mina salom, raffles hotel etc. Just stay away from places lime double decker, saffron, warehouse and bubbalicious
Another one for the Mina A'Salam, thanks. What didn't you like about Bubbalicious?

Bab al Shams do a great brunch.
very relaxed.
This is often the brunch we take visitors to.

No crazy kids high on candy floss, either!. There are kids there, but they get a camel and a pony to ride, and kites to fly at the end of the meal.

25% discount if you have an NBD credit card..
Candy floss should be banned! :D Have the NBD card so 25% off is a great deal, thanks for the tip.

I must admit, Al Qasr was very nice as was The Talk at the Movenpick in JBR.
Al Qasr seems to come up as the 'must-try' brunch in Dubai, so will def consider it as well. The Talk I have to read up on. Thanks. :)

Media One is a "lively" brunch
What do you mean by 'lively'?? :p

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
A couple of mates 'work' at the Media One brunch - basically turns into a giant disco afterwards. It can be a bit rowdy.

Saffron and Warehouse are possibly two of the worst I have ever been to. Loud, mad people - just not a pleassant atmosphere.

454 Posts
Al Qasr was very disappointing, and I did give it two goes. They only have one white and one red wine, both of which are appalling. They frequently run out of key items (e.g. roast beef) and take 30 or 45 minutes to replenish them. It seems very opulent and spectacular at first sight but doesn't really bear close scrutiny. In the hot months, the poor aircon makes for a very uncomfortable experience, with tables fighting each other for a fan.

Bubbalicious delivers on all fronts but go there expecting a few rowdy tables.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I would say give Dusit Thani Friday brunch a try,Great Thai food plus other stuff, with drinks and not that wild with a very good price.It one that is over looked.

Radison Blu Deira creek also very nice with many different restaurants you can try after you pay one price.

Choices Al bustan Rotana selection from all their restaurants and a very good price and not rowdy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I went to a brunch at Pergolas (I think that's what its called) at Al Murooj Rotana a couple of times and that was quite good for AED 190 per person (inclusive of house beverages). Quality of food was good too, considering the price. And no children! :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm probably no help because I prefer *ahem* "rowdy" brunches, so yes, you want to avoid Double Decker's, Media One and Warehouse (all the ones I go to lollll). But that being said, I agree with the posters who said it's probably not for you, because people that avoid rowdy brunches go to the ones for kids, and vice versa. I have done Left Bank at Soul Al Bahar once and it was quite laid back, it didn't seem to get too packed.

Alternatively, you can try the theme evening brunches at the Californian and the Dusit Thani. A bit more affordable and much more chilled out.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Calisthenia said:
Hello, I have searched the forums and had a look at the excruciating long list on TimeOut, but still not sure which brunch to go for. Thought I'd post my 'requirements' here and perhaps some of you know the perfect brunch for us (and/or can give some feedback on recent visits, good or bad). :) - not crowded with children - not crowded with drunk people - not too crowded in general, like you have to queue 10 min for everything - good selection from vegetarian to steaks (I'm quasi vegan/vegetarian and he doesn't think a meal is a meal unless there are as many animals in there as possible :p) I also have to say that I'm shocked at the prices here in Dubai. In Qatar, for example, the friday brunch at the Ritz-Carlton is 250 QAR (same as AED) including bubbles (not proper champagne). The prices here for similar brunches is at least double! So something mid-range would be good, although I've considered both Al Qasr or Bubbalicious. They are quite expensive though and I've read that the queue can get pretty long at the latter. Any tips from recent visits would be highly appreciated!
I like Bice at the Hilton in JBR, it isn't a buffet and the food was very good. Good live music to. Also Sloanes is quite good to.

Generally though there are plenty of places that are not boozy brunches , pick a nice restaurant instead.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts