Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm an Australian who keeps returning to Paris, this has been going on for over 8 years now and after taking the time to spend the last 6-7 weeks here, it's pretty obvious this is where I want to be.

So I am now wondering where to start with seeking a long term Visa for France. I was just reading on the site of a potential business/entrepreneur visa being introduced which could be of interest. I'd also heard from someone of a social project visa.

Some advice on where to start, who to talk with here in Paris who speaks English or any other tips would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
You need to start with the French Consulate in Sydney - only place in Australia where you can apply for a long-stay visa (and it's a part-time office). Check their website re types of visas available and requirements.

·
Administrator
50,912 Posts
Unfortunately, the first rule of visas is that you cannot apply for a visa from within France. You must apply at a Consulate - and usually the consulates require that you apply from the consulate covering the country or area where you have right of residence.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
BTW, given the number of Australians now seeking long-stay visas of various kinds, I am really hoping that they either make the Sydney office full-time or (preferably because Oz is such a huge country distance-wise) allow Consulates in other states to take applications - unfortunately I suspect that neither is likely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...I'm understanding I'll need to head back to Sydney before starting the process and I will be sure to mention the need for more access in Australia :) xx

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
and I will be sure to mention the need for more access in Australia :) xx
Not a good idea actually, the Sydney consulate is bound to take it badly (apart from the fact that it's not up to them). Also, be aware that it is wise to always treat French public servants with great respect and deference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL of cause. My background is in HR, Org Dev and culture change which requires building and maintaining relationships...I was not meaning to be literal but I will keep it in mind. I am aware of some of the French and Australian cultural differences although the Aussie public servants can take life pretty serious too at times :) Thankyou for your assistance.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
LOL of cause. My background is in HR, Org Dev and culture change which requires building and maintaining relationships...I was not meaning to be literal but I will keep it in mind. I am aware of some of the French and Australian cultural differences although the Aussie public servants can take life pretty serious too at times :) Thankyou for your assistance.
I also have a background in Australia in HR, Org Dev, culture change and communications. Plus I have also worked in local government. Believe me, all of that will not prepare you for the differences here.

Just saying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts