Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just got back from my weekly 2 hour French lesson, and my tutor, who is excellent and a French native, no longer wants to teach in schools, but wants to work for herself privately. I suggested that she could perhaps offer lessons / courses by email and web cam (no, proper French language courses!) I said I would try to get some feedback for her on how popular this would be likely to be. She teaches from absolute beginners through to A Level+. Comments?

·
Administrator
50,381 Posts
Google around for "french classes online" and see what you can find. I know when I first got my little MP3 player, I found a ton of french lessons that were downloadable from the Internet. Some for free, others you had to pay for.

But another option your tutor may want to consider is doing French classes by telephone. This is popular with busy executives who need to keep their language skills up to date, but who don't have the time to attend classes. They just schedule a lesson-call and do the lesson on the phone.

An English friend of mine was doing this kind of teaching (through a language school) while living in France, and I was looking into something like this for my boss when I was working in Germany. With something like Skype, or another VOIP service, you could take students anywhere in the world as long as the teacher could deal with the time differences. Talking on the phone is the hardest part of learning a language (IMO anyhow) so this really helps people in business who need to learn a language.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would be interested in having a French teacher for a few lessons, definitely. I'm in Austria at the moment but want to have my French back up and running before we move to France in a couple of years.

I studied to A level but having done German for the last 5 years French seems to be slacking badly.

How much would she charge for a weekly lesson? I'd rather do writing on MSN rather than Skype simply because I need to refresh grammar more than anything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be interested in having a French teacher for a few lessons, definitely. I'm in Austria at the moment but want to have my French back up and running before we move to France in a couple of years.

I studied to A level but having done German for the last 5 years French seems to be slacking badly.

How much would she charge for a weekly lesson? I'd rather do writing on MSN rather than Skype simply because I need to refresh grammar more than anything.
That's interesting. I can't say what she would charge, all I can say is she is very good, and her charge to me is extremely reasonable. I do have 2 hours at a time, though, which means it's better for her. Her one hour charge was higher. I researched it big time when I was looking for somebody, and the cheapest I could find locally was £25 - £30 an hour, which I couldn't afford. She's brilliant with grammar, this is what I needed tuition on. Shall I get her to contact you direct?

·
Registered
54 Posts
£25 an hour is a lot! Certainly put us in touch, I'm definitely interested.

Many thanks

That's interesting. I can't say what she would charge, all I can say is she is very good, and her charge to me is extremely reasonable. I do have 2 hours at a time, though, which means it's better for her. Her one hour charge was higher. I researched it big time when I was looking for somebody, and the cheapest I could find locally was £25 - £30 an hour, which I couldn't afford. She's brilliant with grammar, this is what I needed tuition on. Shall I get her to contact you direct?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Many thanks
I didn't say it was a lot, I said it was more than I could afford! I guess you need to charge similar amounts for translations, etc. It's probably the going rate, I don't really know. I'll give her your contact details and I'm sure she will be in touch soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was just thinking about it and actually it's not a lot at all! Not for a professional to teach you a mass of new skills. I'm such a skinflint lol! I'd easily spend 25 euro on something I don't need or by impulse (not often mind!) - it'll be great to hear from her. Hopefully we can set something up and I can drag some French back up from my brain dungeon!

I didn't say it was a lot, I said it was more than I could afford! I guess you need to charge similar amounts for translations, etc. It's probably the going rate, I don't really know. I'll give her your contact details and I'm sure she will be in touch soon.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts

Many thanks
Hi,
I'm an experienced teacher living in Spain. I've been doing phone classes for about 5 years now and although I was sceptical at first, have found it to be a very successful way of teaching assuming (of course) that both teacher and student do the work that's required. By that I mean if it's just a 20 min chat on the phone it's good practice, but you're not going to progress a lot so there needs to be preparation and follow up.
As for the price, you can find phone classes at all prices from 6€ for 20 mins(usually somebody English speaking who is not a teacher) to about 30€ for half an hour (which I hope would be somebody who really knows what they're doing!!)
Hope your classes work out!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi,
I'm an experienced teacher living in Spain. I've been doing phone classes for about 5 years now and although I was sceptical at first, have found it to be a very successful way of teaching assuming (of course) that both teacher and student do the work that's required. By that I mean if it's just a 20 min chat on the phone it's good practice, but you're not going to progress a lot so there needs to be preparation and follow up.
As for the price, you can find phone classes at all prices from 6€ for 20 mins(usually somebody English speaking who is not a teacher) to about 30€ for half an hour (which I hope would be somebody who really knows what they're doing!!)
Thanks for that input! I adjusted my opinion already anyway!! :D It's perfectly reasonable to expect to pay that amount for a qualified teacher...It's what I charge! I'm just a major skinflint sometimes!!!

:D

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Thanks for that input! I adjusted my opinion already anyway!! :D It's perfectly reasonable to expect to pay that amount for a qualified teacher...It's what I charge! I'm just a major skinflint sometimes!!!

:D
I can't keep my mouth shut when it comes to the subject of teaching English

:) :D :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,
Thanks for that Pesky Wesky. To be fair, Lucy had already agreed! It's excellent feedback though, it would be really nice to give Frederique, my tutor, a helping hand to get started

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Thanks for that Pesky Wesky. To be fair, Lucy had already agreed! It's excellent feedback though, it would be really nice to give Frederique, my tutor, a helping hand to get started
Yes, :) I was just giving a view point from a different country.
People here are still warey of phone classes (until they try them!) Perhaps it's a bit more run of the mill in France?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.