Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently work in France and my girlfriend would like to visit here for 3 months so that we can decide if we would like to settle here for long term. Both of us are Non-EU citizens.

She has just quit her job in our home country. Will it be fine to apply for the tourist Visa for 3 months or will this be suspicious ? She has worked in the schengen area for 6 months 2 ears before and she has visited France last year for 1 week with a multiple entry schengen visa.

How much funds do we need to show for her as a proof of funding per day ? Should it be confirmed tickets for hotel and flights ? What if the Visa did not arrive on time and if we need to change the bookings ?

Please advice.

·
Administrator
50,867 Posts
It could come down to a question of the consulate through which she applies. Yes, it does look kind of "suspicious" that she is intending to stay for the full 90 days to visit a partner working in France (to decide if you want to settle in France for the long term) with no "binding ties" to return to.

She needs to show that she is well aware that, if things work out for you, she will have to return back home to apply for any sort of long-stay visa. Best way to do that is to have something to return for - whether it's a job, a place to live (don't break your lease!), family or something similar. If you're considering marriage, it's probably not a bad idea to make sure that you understand the requirements for a non-EU national to obtain a "vie privée et familiale" visa - basically you have to have been working in France for at least 18 months already and be on a renewable long-stay visa. More info on that here: OFII - Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration

It might also help if she perhaps adjusted the length of her stay - maybe cut it back to 2 months (or 60 days).

Basically, she needs to demonstrate that she is planning on returning back home at the end of this visit. I wouldn't make any non-cancellable reservations until she is certain of having the visa. It may be overkill, but generally speaking, better to be over-prepared when it comes to French administrative matters than underprepared.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I will look into the requirements for sure.

Regarding the booking of Flights and Hotels, do they accept only itineraries and not confirmed tickets ? There are some sites where you can book hotels and cancel later for very less price but I'm not sure for the flights. Any info on that ?

·
Administrator
50,867 Posts
I think the itinerary vs. firm reservation thing varies by consulate. Many folks have reported that they got by with an itinerary rather than firm bookings, but let's see if we can flag down someone who has recently gotten a visa for their comments and experience.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts