Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's an increasingly virtual world for today's "ados" in France. Some fascinating points to come out of this in-depth survey (biggish pdf) of French adolescents' habits in the virtual world of pcs and laptops, iPods and Mp3s, mobiles...

Mobile use:

- 7% of all French pupils aged 12-17 have secretly filmed their teacher in class... 1% do so regularly.

- 13% of all French pupils aged 12-17 have given their mobile number to a stranger they met on the Internet. 2% do so regularly.

- The same percentage have sent SMS messages to complete strangers.

- 8% have filmed planned 'happy slapping' type attacks on other kids. 1% do so regularly.

- 8% have received violent video clips on their mobiles. A similar percentage has received what they call 'shocking' photos or video clips. 4% indulges in sending out violent clips. 15% forward on any shocking clips or photos they receive.

- 26% have used their mobile to break up with their girlfriends/boyfriends by SMS.

- 10% have received sexually explicit messages from complete strangers on their mobiles.

So much for parental control... personally I feel increasingly marginalised by the technology involved, and I'm no Luddite.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
It's an increasingly virtual world for today's "ados" in France. Some fascinating points to come out of this in-depth survey (biggish pdf) of French adolescents' habits in the virtual world of pcs and laptops, iPods and Mp3s, mobiles...

Mobile use:

- 13% of all French pupils aged 12-17 have given their mobile number to a stranger they met on the Internet. 2% do so regularly.

- The same percentage have sent SMS messages to complete strangers.

So much for parental control... personally I feel increasingly marginalised by the technology involved, and I'm no Luddite.
As parents, the best we can do is provide our kids with information and hope they make the right choices. Armed with knowledge, at least they are making informed decisions and are aware of the potential consequences of their actions. This is a better state of affairs than making an uninformed decision and not knowing the risks involved. Hang in there.:cell:

·
Administrator
51,562 Posts
This may actually fall under the "culture shock" heading, like we're discussing over in another thread. When I first came to France, I was shocked at the disregard here for what I consider basic telephone security practices.

For example, we used to get no end of phone calls starting out, "I'm from the mairie and I want to know the name of your gérant..." (this, just after we had started our company). On asking them which mairie, they kind of backed down and it seems that they were actually telemarketing people looking for a direct route to asking to speak to the head man to try and sell him stuff. I've had telemarketers ask for the gérant's mobile phone number and act all surprised when I say I won't give it to them.

I get the impression that the French really will answer incredibly personal questions put to them by phone with no concern for who they might be speaking to. You ought to hear the reaction I get when I tell callers "we don't give out that information on the telephone" or "I don't believe you have any need for that information" or (for the company), "that information is on file at the greffe de tribunal and if you want it, you can find it there" (for a fee, of course).

There is also an active traffic in marketers sending out documents that look like invoices for "publicity" or "marketing services" that you never ordered. I'm not surprised that there is a good living to be made with those sorts of scams given the way people here seem to just comply without asking any questions.

I even had one kid call the house here asking for one of his schoolmates who just happened to have the same last name as my husband. When I told him he had the wrong number, he argued with me - wasn't this the number for DH, who lives in Whatsisville - and therefore his friend MUST be our son. I finally hung up on the kid, who called back to continue the argument that he could not possibly have the wrong number. (I hung up and just ignored the phone for an hour or so.) Jeezzz!
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
8 Posts
Managed services

Hi! Its one of the very nice question,one of my bro give their views that its fully depends up on the technology like mobile but I don't agree with this.Its just depend up on their environment which make the guy or girl to recieve virtual habit.so don't blame the technology.Thanksssssssssss:plane:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.