Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hello again to everyone who may also have questions on filing French income tax just a couple days before the deadline.

I just purchased a copy of the "Connexion Helpguide to Income tax forms for American citizens living in France" (2011 edition) Price €9.50. This is actually last year's guide since they didn't publish the American version this year (the UK 2012 version is available however and last year's American version is still available by contacting the Connexion by e-mail). This is an incredibly complete guide including reproductions of forms and detailed answers to almost every imaginable question.

The guide confirmed my approach to reporting US social security pension income on form 2047 in Section VII (Revenus exonérés) and answered many other questions I had.

I don't like making publicity for any particular product in a forum like this, but I found the guide extremely helpful and as far as I know, it is one of the very few sources providing this type of information, which is badly needed by the expat community.

Hoping this information may be of use to some of you.
Hi,

Just opened this timely thread. Thanks to all for the useful info.

Wills06, I went to the Connexion site's list of Helpguides and couldn't find the American version. Can you help direct me?
Also, does it cover things like capital gains, dividends and IRA's? Does it use the Convention as a basis for the instructions given? Does it address assessment of French social charges?

OK, that's enough questions, thanks in advance if you have the chance to respond. Even after the dreaded 31st would be great.

Regarding "Social Security". To my (perhaps unsound) mind, Social Security is not a pension, it's an obligatory, government-run, old-age survivor's insurance program to which employee and employer contribute. I mention this because the distinction seemed to clarify some point for the very helpful and infinitely patient staff at my local tax office last year.

Bonne chance, Charlot

·
Registered
241 Posts
THANKS! I'll try the contact address. I have an appointment at the Tax Office tomorrow. Last year, because of some anomalies, an on-staff expert was called in to consult. If I see him again, I'll try to ask about the IRA's.

I haven't yet withdrawn from mine, but it certainly would be helpful to know the tax implications before doing so. Thanks too to Bev.

Salut, Charlot

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.