Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi expats

I recently moved back to the UK after 2 years living in Paris. I never quite got the hang of the French tax system and about 2 years later I was sent a tax bill. I've paid the tax but have recently received another demand saying that I owe the French tax authorities a further 40% fine on the top for late payment. Do I have to pay it - what happens if you don't?

Also I am concerned that they might surprise me with more tax fines for other years, although I've received no notification of how much I owe and I'm not sure how to calculate it. Would you expect to receive the original tax bill first before they start to apply fines?

Experienced advice appreciated,

A

·
Administrator
51,623 Posts
Whether you're going to get another tax bill or not depends on the period the original bill was for. If that was for your first year in Paris, you can probably expect a second one for the second year.

The 40% fine sounds about right. It's 10% automatically if you miss a payment or filing deadline - I suspect the rest is for not filing at all and any other omissions.

If you ever plan on returning to France, you probably want to pay up. But, the tax examiners are usually pretty reasonable. If you have a decent excuse, or just want to "clear the air" about whether or not you owe for subsequent years, you should just contact the tax office. It may be possible to work something out.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.