Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Myself and my wife are looking to move to France - she is from Aix En Provence and I am hoping that she will be able to get a job and I will get more French (ver basic at the mo) and eventually get a job.

We have two kids and need to be sure we rent in a nice area with scools etc.

because of this, we need a certain monthly income to make sure we have enough.

So, I was made redundant here in Ireland on 31st July. I heard that I am entitled to French Social Welfare but I also heard that I need to have contributed "one day" to the French Social Wefare system. Is this correct ?

Its a bit of a catch 22 - I need to get a job to collect social welfare !!??

I've no intentions on staying on Social Welfare - I will be trying everything to get a job.

TIA
Rb

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
Hi

Myself and my wife are looking to move to France - she is from Aix En Provence and I am hoping that she will be able to get a job and I will get more French (ver basic at the mo) and eventually get a job.

We have two kids and need to be sure we rent in a nice area with scools etc.

because of this, we need a certain monthly income to make sure we have enough.

So, I was made redundant here in Ireland on 31st July. I heard that I am entitled to French Social Welfare but I also heard that I need to have contributed "one day" to the French Social Wefare system. Is this correct ?

Its a bit of a catch 22 - I need to get a job to collect social welfare !!??

I've no intentions on staying on Social Welfare - I will be trying everything to get a job.
Provided you are getting Jobseekers' Benefit (JB) for at least 4 weeks in Ireland, you can transfer your entitlement to France for up to 3 months when going there to look for work. You need to get form E303 from your local social welfare office.
Going abroad and social welfare payments-Information from CitizensInformation.ie

If you haven't been receiving JB in Ireland, then you need to work for at least one day in France before you become eligible to receive JB in France, paid out by the Irish government. You need to get E301 before leaving for France.
Once in France, within 7 days (I think) you need to register as job seeker at ASSEDIC agency local to where you are staying and looking for work. It can take some time for the payment to be processed, so make sure you have some funds to tide over.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi
thanks- i had heard that. But from looking around i think i will be a jot longer than 3 months before i become fluent and get a job.
So, i was thinking the french sw would be an option where i get 2/3 of my last salary ?
Tia
rob

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
hi
thanks- i had heard that. But from looking around i think i will be a jot longer than 3 months before i become fluent and get a job.
So, i was thinking the french sw would be an option where i get 2/3 of my last salary ?
Tia
rob
I don't think you will be entitled to French unemployment benefit unless you have been contributing to French funds for some time. You need a minimum of 6 months of contribution record in the last 22 months to get 7 months of payment, and 14 months of contribution in 2 years gets you 22 months. Your benefit starts at half your last French salary, and is gradually reduced over time.
There's nothing to stop you returning to Ireland after 3 months, sign on again and then return to France for further 3 months. The 3 months limit is there to stop EU migrants becoming a drain on the host state, as they may start claiming other welfare payments like child benefit, housing allowance and so on.

·
Administrator
50,464 Posts
As Joppa explained, you can collect your Irish unemployment benefit for a certain period of time after arriving in France. But to collect under the French system, you need to have worked in France and contributed to the French social insurances for the requisite qualifying period.

And yes, you will need at least a conversational level of French in order to have much chance of finding a job, plus it can depend on what line of work you are in. Some jobs don't transfer terribly well.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.