Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'd just like to know if I can pick up a french mobile phone sim card that doesn't charge a mimimum monthly fee if I don't use it. Obviously I expect to pay for call charges and data charges etc.

But if I compare a standard pay-as-you-go sim in the UK, I only pay as I use. Which French providers if any offer a similar deal?

I've heard that for some French providers you need to top-up every month a minimum fee, is this the only way?

Regards,

Lloyd J.

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,294 Posts
I'd just like to know if I can pick up a french mobile phone sim card that doesn't charge a mimimum monthly fee if I don't use it.
All of the French providers offer SIMs that you can pay for only when you use them.

We have an SFR mobile phone that works that way. We buy time at the grocery store or tabaconnist shops whenever we need it. Each block of time has a certain time period it lasts from 2 weeks to a month or more. The larger the block of time, the longer it lasts. But they all expire eventually.

Ray

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All of the French providers offer SIMs that you can pay for only when you use them.

We have an SFR mobile phone that works that way. We buy time at the grocery store or tabaconnist shops whenever we need it. Each block of time has a certain time period it lasts from 2 weeks to a month or more. The larger the block of time, the longer it lasts. But they all expire eventually.

Ray
Hi Ray,

Ah I see, thanks for that!

I think my wires were slightly crossed between having to pay a fee to retain the mobile number each month (keeping the sim card active) and the sim card credit expiring if it's not frequently used. As it's pretty much the same thing depending on hhow you look at it.

I have UK sims on Virgin and T-Mobile that don't appear to expire at all. (Having previously worked in the Telecoms industry I might add!)

But for now, I know the rules of engagement, and I will definately be using the sim card within each 2 month window without fail.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Lloyd J.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a PAYG SIM from Virgin Mobile in France, and the credits definitely expired as advertised.

If you're local in France, you might consider the €2/mo offer from FREE mobile which comes with 60 mins of calls and 60 SMSes.

·
Administrator
50,053 Posts
Hi,

That Free I'm deal sounds appealing.

Where would I get a Free sim to buy?

Lloyd J.
Right here: Bienvenue chez FREE

They have only a very few bricks and mortar sites at this point, and I hear their customer service is somewhat lacking. But if you don't mind handling everything by mail/Internet, they're quick. I had my sim in two working days, then ordered a phone from them and had that 4 days later.

Just make sure your current phone is unlocked.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.