Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm going through the process of enrolling my kids in collège, and have been asked to complete some registration forms. I am not currently in France, or I would go to the school and ask these questions, so I am hoping someone with some experience (and/or better French than mine) would be willing to assist me?

Under current school it asks for the following:
Formation
Spécialité
Division
Doublement (yes or no)
Régime
Restauration: Which I believe means cantine.
Options: There are 12 blank spots for options

I have run these through the basic Google Translate, but of course that is not much help.

Might you be willing to assist?

Thank you in advance.

-Megan

·
Administrator
50,470 Posts
It would help to know where you're coming from (in the literal, geographical sense).

Collège in France can be the beginning of somewhat specialized, career oriented education and I suspect that is what the mystery questions here are referring to. Doublement refers to the practice of having a kid repeat a grade if they haven't mastered the material.

This section of the Europa website might give you a better idea of what they're asking for: https://webgate.ec.europa.eu/fpfis/mwikis/eurydice/index.php/France:Overview
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hi,

I'm going through the process of enrolling my kids in collège, and have been asked to complete some registration forms. I am not currently in France, or I would go to the school and ask these questions, so I am hoping someone with some experience (and/or better French than mine) would be willing to assist me?

Under current school it asks for the following:
Formation
Spécialité
Division
Doublement (yes or no)
Régime
Restauration: Which I believe means cantine.
Options: There are 12 blank spots for options

I have run these through the basic Google Translate, but of course that is not much help.

Might you be willing to assist?

Thank you in advance.

-Megan
As Bev said, collège tends to be a more specialized time in students' career, especially if you have kids going through 4e and 3e, when they have to start thinking if they're going to high school, a professional high school, some sort of apprenticeship, a CAP, etc.

Options are additional, non-required classes. For example, at the school that I worked at this past year, they had a Latin option. Or they could have additional languages as options. At other schools where I worked, they had "Euro" classes, where students worked more deeply in a particular language. Or they have additional science classes, etc. So you're going to need to find out what their Options are, and help your kids decide what they are going to want to take.

Really, I think you're going to need to contact the school in any case to find out the different formations and divisions. Or if the school has a website, they might have more information about those different things.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
French schoolchildren normally go to collège at 11, it's the secondary school, following primary school (école primaire).

The classes are 6ème, 5ème, 4ème and 3ème.

They complete the collège at 14/15 and go on to the lycée (seconde, première, terminale).

It would be useful to know the ages of the children involved.

Doublement is usually termed "redoublement".

What kind of collège is this, a state or private establishment? Can you provide a bit more information?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts