Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am French and I qualified as a secondary school teacher in France in 2005 and taught there for 5 years before moving to the UK to live with my boyfriend. I only taught private tuitions since then as no school would hire me here. I have been trying to get Qualified Teacher Status asking the then called General Teaching Council to recognise my qualification but they refused to do so, saying that I needed to prove that I had worked in state schools in France for at least 2 years. My qualification in France is called CAFEP/CAPES, it's a very hard competitive exam and you end up working in private schools. It's the EXACT same exam as CAPES which is to work in state schools, the conditions of the examination are the same, the questions are the same, the examiners are the same...But because I made this choice, I now can't get any work in the UK. It seems particularly unfair to me, especially knowing that this competitive exam is extremely difficult to pass, and that the difference between private and public schools is not the same in France and in the UK. Most private schools in France are private because they are catholic and parents have to pay (for the use of the bulding really...) but they follow the national curriculum, the teachers are paid by the state... unlike private schools in England.
I have tried to apply to work in private schools in the UK too, but they rejected my applications because I had never taught in this country and therefore don't know the curriculum...Well, how can I have the chance to teach here and get to know the curriculum then?? I considered doing PGCE but it's so frustrating, plus, I would have to pay £9,000!
I would like to know if anyone here has been in the same situation and if they have found a way through it? Thank you

·
Administrator
50,027 Posts
Teaching qualifications really don't transfer very well between countries. Over in the French section of the forum, we have lots of queries from certified teachers from the US or UK and they have pretty much the same complaint as you do - the national qualifications simply don't transfer, in large part because the various national curricula are so different (as are teaching styles).

You may want to contact the French consulate to see if they have a list of French curriculum private schools in the UK. Very often the embassies run a school for the children of their staff.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Teaching qualifications really don't transfer very well between countries. Over in the French section of the forum, we have lots of queries from certified teachers from the US or UK and they have pretty much the same complaint as you do - the national qualifications simply don't transfer, in large part because the various national curricula are so different (as are teaching styles).

You may want to contact the French consulate to see if they have a list of French curriculum private schools in the UK. Very often the embassies run a school for the children of their staff.
Cheers,
Bev
+1

Nearly all teachers who move from one country to another find they have to re-qualify before they can teach in the new country.

In the US teachers can't even go between States without having to take State specific qualifications!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev, I'll have a look at what the French consulate has, I doubt that there would be any French private schools around Bristol - in fact, I already had a look but not through the consulate - maybe more in London, but it's worth the try anyway.
Cheers,
Isabelle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
+1

Nearly all teachers who move from one country to another find they have to re-qualify before they can teach in the new country.

In the US teachers can't even go between States without having to take State specific qualifications!
Thanks for your reply, I didn't know that it was so difficult in the US too. I probably have no other choice but to take the exam again...
Cheers,
Isabelle

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've been having the same problem as a US (Pennsylvania) qualified teacher. I'm going to be having a child right around the start of the school year, so I know I won't stand a chance of getting a school to hire/sponsor me for Overseas Trained Teacher this year. But I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible me to be an unpaid part-time volunteer at a school during the second and third terms in exchange for being sponsored for certification. I'm considering contacting some local schools, but I don't know if they would be allowed to sponsor me without hiring me. Any help/ ideas would be appreciated regarding this!

·
Registered
39,084 Posts
I've been having the same problem as a US (Pennsylvania) qualified teacher. I'm going to be having a child right around the start of the school year, so I know I won't stand a chance of getting a school to hire/sponsor me for Overseas Trained Teacher this year. But I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible me to be an unpaid part-time volunteer at a school during the second and third terms in exchange for being sponsored for certification. I'm considering contacting some local schools, but I don't know if they would be allowed to sponsor me without hiring me. Any help/ ideas would be appreciated regarding this!
No you can't. To go on Overseas Trained Teacher programme (OTTP), you need to be employed by a school (on a contract) as unqualified teacher, and in the current financial climate, very few schools will offer to do so (when there are so many unemployed UK-qualified teachers about).
Overseas Trained Teacher Programme - Teaching Agency

You can work as unqualified teacher for up to 4 years before having to get QTS. There isn't much demand for that in the current climate, even though a school only needs to pay 2/3 of a salary of a qualified teacher. Teaching unions are opposed to the use of unqualified staff when so many of their members cannot get teaching jobs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.