Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once my wife and I get to Lyon (scheduled to arrive in early September) can we rent a post office box at the local branch of La Poste? As we'll be in an AirBnB for the first month while we find a permanent rental I thought that it would just be more convenient to use a PO box to receive things.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts

·
Administrator
53,184 Posts
None. At least I don't believe France has them. Bev, chime in if I'm wrong.
As you've seen, there definitely are post office boxes in France - though not all post offices have them and, as I've seen, they are sometimes tucked to one side where you wouldn't necessarily notice them in your regular wanderings in and out of the post office.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
As you've seen, there definitely are post office boxes in France - though not all post offices have them and, as I've seen, they are sometimes tucked to one side where you wouldn't necessarily notice them in your regular wanderings in and out of the post office.
Cheers,
Bev
It is indeed often not the closest post office that will have boxes - and yes, they are not always easy to find, even when you know a particular post office has them :) I'm used to that, as it was also the case where I lived in Oz.

La Poste, sadly, is reducing many of its on-site services (whilst at the same time getting into totally different services not connected with mail).

·
Registered
392 Posts
one alternative solution, have your mail delivered to where you live then once you settle in another address, you go to the post office, fill a form that all your mail from old address get delivered to your new address... this can be done for 6 months or a full year for something around 20 euros if I remember well.
I did it for 6 months which was enough for me to make sure that my address is updated at all places that I left them my old address (which were very few given that it was only 6 weeks till I found my place : perfecture, carrefour and the local MJC :) )

·
Registered
143 Posts
Another possibility is something called Traveling Mailbox, though I can't comment on how well it works since we won't be using it until we arrive in France in September.

https://travelingmailbox.com/

It's a U.S. address. They scan and send you your mail via email. Not bulk mail or other advertising. And they will deposit check for you.
This looks interesting. Makes me a little nervous to have people looking at my mail and depositing my checks, but I like the idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.