Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a French person was relocating for work to America is there a website one could look at to get general idea of purchase/rental prices ?

Many thanks in advance.:)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not sure there is "one" website that would do it for you ... instead I'd do a Google search something like "house for rent in San Diego" ..... (enter the name of the City they are moving to) .... [and if it's the San Diego area - I'll have one available for a couple of years starting in September ... LOL]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just had another thought - sorry for two posts ..... whatever City they are looking in try using Google to search for French clubs or activities ... or even better is Meetup.com - they have locations all around the world .... they could then be in contact with French persons in that area who could provide a plethora of information to them ...

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
One other place to look is the website of most of the larger newspapers in and around the area you're interested in. New York Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, etc. etc. all have "Real Estate" ads that include both purchase and rental options.

The other really "comprehensive" site (I've just stumbled onto) is Zillow. Take some of their "valuations" with a grain of salt (or so I've been told) but they do have an impressive data base of the latest transactions for property transactions - both rental and purchase.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes! Zillow.com is great ... and for my area the values displayed are pretty right on .... I hadn't thought about that - and I use Zillow all the time ... ugh

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
Must admit I'm hooked on Zillow, just for the sheer voyeur value. Have checked out all the houses I lived in while growing up in the US to see how much they have appreciated in value. Also checked out the townhouse I sold just before coming to Europe to live.

And, of course, I checked out what my friend sold her house for, and then what she paid for her new townhouse. Man, another one of those sites you can waste HOURS doing "research" on.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'd never heard of Zillow, but now think it's amazing. I just clicked on our zipcode, and was astonished at the spread and accuracy of the listings.
Zillow is great but it's best to use it as a rough reference and really rely on the listing prices directly for a better idea of what the current market looks like;
An other good website would be the local craigslist or even better try to get access to the mls listing through a real estate agent or their website

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
If a French person was relocating for work to America is there a website one could look at to get general idea of purchase/rental prices ?

Many thanks in advance.:)
If you know where you are going to be working you could try Zillow for purchases.

Unless the property you are looking at is actually up for sale, their estimates are only estimates.

For rentals Google "rentals in xxxxxxxxxxx"

·
Registered
360 Posts
Zillow is not a reliable source in any way shape or form. It is nothing more than a bot with an algorithm. If you are looking in an area that has a high turnover you may get closer on some info, but it should not be used even as a guideline. It only pulls from the local Multiple Listing Service and then computes in data from county property tax sites, that's it. The sum total of their knowledge, so take it for what it is. Past sales are correct as they use above info as are taxes. However you will soon find that most of the rest of their "data" is incorrect and out of date, including their maps. Use Google Earth to confirm an address.
To find real houses for sale in the US google the name of the town with the letters MLS and you will get the true list of current houses etc. for sale. For rentals look on the local Craig's List.
Yes, it is fun for fantasy research, that's it. Any realtor (I am not one) will tell you this while rolling their eyes when you mention "Zillow".
And Zillow owns Trulia by the way.

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
Zillow and Trulia are interesting for getting a wide overview of property in a given area. For serious property hunting, I'd start with the local newspaper real estate ads, and then check a couple of the national real estate chains - like Century21, Remax, Good Housekeeping (are they still in the real estate business?). Thanks to the multi-listing service in the US, all the agencies will have pretty much the same listings. And lately most agencies tend to carry both sales and rental listings.

But I'm not sure that we shouldn't send the OP directly to the US forum here to inquire about the particular region/area that interests them. The same caveat applies in the US as here in France: you should never engage a residential property (at least not for the long-term) without visiting it in person to assess not only the property itself but the neighborhood, commute, schools, etc.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
360 Posts
The US forum would be the place to go. I don't think that many newspapers carry weekly real estate listings, none near me do, only a special in the Sunday paper. Even then it is redundant as real estate in the US is all online now. Find the local MLS and go from there.

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
Ah, but the newspaper websites generally either have a real estate section (that remains online all week) or they link to a regional real estate site.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 14 of 14 Posts