Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My wife is living in France on carte de sejour for almost 12 years and her carte de sejour is still valid up to 2020. She is now going to apply for French Passport. She is working part time because we have a baby girl and she looks after her so she can't work full time. Could you please tell me what are requirements for applying passport and how much time it takes? in how much time she will get passport? because then she will apply for my immigration. As a foreigner if she applies my immigration it takes too much time couple of years so that's why we decided to get the passport first after that we would apply my immigration because it would take much less time as compared to that. Please guide me. Thanks

·
Administrator
51,620 Posts
She will need to apply for French nationality before she can get a French passport. The rules for that are here: Acquisition de la nationalité française - Service-public.fr As you can see, it depends a bit on what basis she is using for her nationality request (and in any event, she will have to have a level of French adequate to read the pages of Service Public).

Rule of thumb for taking French nationality is that once you have your dossier assembled and accepted by the prefecture, processing will take the better part of a year. Once French nationality is granted, she will have to first get a copy of her "French birth certificate" and then apply for a carte d'identité. Once she has the carte d'identité, she can then apply for the passport.

Not sure this is really the "shorter" route to getting you to France.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She will need to apply for French nationality before she can get a French passport. The rules for that are here: Acquisition de la nationalité française - Service-public.fr As you can see, it depends a bit on what basis she is using for her nationality request (and in any event, she will have to have a level of French adequate to read the pages of Service Public).

Rule of thumb for taking French nationality is that once you have your dossier assembled and accepted by the prefecture, processing will take the better part of a year. Once French nationality is granted, she will have to first get a copy of her "French birth certificate" and then apply for a carte d'identité. Once she has the carte d'identité, she can then apply for the passport.

Not sure this is really the "shorter" route to getting you to France.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks for the information. Bev what do you recommend us? Should we go for the nationality first or apply my immigration as a foreigner? my wife is working part time and as much as i know if she applies my immigration as a foreigner she should have full time job n her gross salary should be 1600 Euros/month but she is not earning as much that's why we are planning to get the nationality first because if she gets the nationality this condition doesn't apply on her. what do you recommend mate? please help me we are much confused nowadays.

Cheers,
Mohsin

·
Administrator
51,620 Posts
It really depends on what your long-term goal might be. The one big "gotcha" I see in either approach for you is the fact that you are apparently living apart. In France, a married couple is required to maintain a common household (and is taxed accordingly). Depending on how long you have been living apart, your claim to a visa based on marriage to a French national could come into question if you've been living apart for a significant period of time.

In any event, either route is going to take some significant time. Getting French nationality takes a good year before you can even apply for a visa. Going the other route (regroupement familiale) implies that her income is adequate to support you both, which doesn't seem to be the case. What are you planning on doing when you get to France? Because finding a job is going to be a real uphill battle.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It really depends on what your long-term goal might be. The one big "gotcha" I see in either approach for you is the fact that you are apparently living apart. In France, a married couple is required to maintain a common household (and is taxed accordingly). Depending on how long you have been living apart, your claim to a visa based on marriage to a French national could come into question if you've been living apart for a significant period of time.

In any event, either route is going to take some significant time. Getting French nationality takes a good year before you can even apply for a visa. Going the other route (regroupement familiale) implies that her income is adequate to support you both, which doesn't seem to be the case. What are you planning on doing when you get to France? Because finding a job is going to be a real uphill battle.
Cheers,
Bev
So Bev, both ways would take much time n both are not much easier so I think we should go for the visa instead of getting nationality first because we'll have to wait in this case as well too long and then we would be able to apply visa so why not now. i think she should apply for my visa as a foreigner instead of wasting more time. what do you think?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have lived in Ireland for 3 years i worked there n paid tax every month and I have much work experience in the field of accounts. I am graduate in Accounting. after going to France I will do any job related to accounts and I'll also do my Masters from there.

·
Administrator
51,620 Posts
Since your wife has been in France for so long now, I really think her application to sponsor you should not take nearly as long as it would for her to get French nationality.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But her income is not enough right now it should be at least 1600Euros/month but she is earning half of it right now because she can't work full time. Do you think with this income I can get visa?

·
Registered
26 Posts
The amount in case of income doesn't really matters, the thing that matter is that your spouse should be able to afford a residence and provide the consulate with rent agreement , Edf bills, salary slips . Cheers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bev, I want to ask you something mate. As I told you before that my wife is not working enough in France she is just earning 850Euros/month but she is getting some benefits like from her father every month she gets 500Euros and she gets some benefits from government too like RSA so for my immigration purpose are they gonna consider these amounts as her income too or not? Because if they really do it then we wont have income issue. Do you know anything about it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The amount in case of income doesn't really matters, the thing that matter is that your spouse should be able to afford a residence and provide the consulate with rent agreement , Edf bills, salary slips . Cheers.
She already have a big house of 133m² and i read on OFII website requirement is 44m² and her rent edf bills salary slips everything is complete and accurate.

·
Administrator
51,620 Posts
All I can do is to give you the OFII page in English that outlines the process for a carte de séjour holder to sponsor a close family member: OFII - Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration

It's nearly impossible to say exactly what constitutes "proof of stable, adequate resources for supporting his family and ensuring that it is housed consistent with French standards for area and habitability." I would say that she should show all her financial resources and see what they say. The fact that she has been living in France as long as she has is a positive thing. But it's difficult to say exactly how much in financial resources they will require.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All I can do is to give you the OFII page in English that outlines the process for a carte de séjour holder to sponsor a close family member: OFII - Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration

It's nearly impossible to say exactly what constitutes "proof of stable, adequate resources for supporting his family and ensuring that it is housed consistent with French standards for area and habitability." I would say that she should show all her financial resources and see what they say. The fact that she has been living in France as long as she has is a positive thing. But it's difficult to say exactly how much in financial resources they will require.
Cheers,
Bev
Okay Bev thank you so much :)
Cheers

·
Registered
629 Posts
Bev, I want to ask you something mate. As I told you before that my wife is not working enough in France she is just earning 850Euros/month but she is getting some benefits like from her father every month she gets 500Euros and she gets some benefits from government too like RSA so for my immigration purpose are they gonna consider these amounts as her income too or not? Because if they really do it then we wont have income issue. Do you know anything about it?
850 + 500 = 1,350. I find it astonishing that if these two amounts are declared she will be entitled to RSA. With RSA you are obliged to declare, three monthly, ALL revenues and this includes the 500 euros from her father. Be careful. The CAF do controls whereby you are required to provide all bank statements along with a multitude of other docs - and THEY DO - I've had 2 in the last 4 years.

Incidentally, is this your child? If so are you paying pension alimentaire (maintenance)? If you are this must be added to her revenue to the CAF as clearly stated on the three monthly declaration. If you are the father and your are NOT paying maintenance, this will impede your visa application as your wife is claiming from the French state as a single parent with financial difficulties.

How old is the child?

I think before you look for more advice from the forum, you need to make it a little clearer what exactly your wife has declared as her 'situation familaliale' - ie single parent or absent parent. They are worlds apart and the CAF will look to you to provide maintenance first and above all.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
850 + 500 = 1,350. I find it astonishing that if these two amounts are declared she will be entitled to RSA. With RSA you are obliged to declare, three monthly, ALL revenues and this includes the 500 euros from her father. Be careful. The CAF do controls whereby you are required to provide all bank statements along with a multitude of other docs - and THEY DO - I've had 2 in the last 4 years.

Incidentally, is this your child? If so are you paying pension alimentaire (maintenance)? If you are this must be added to her revenue to the CAF as clearly stated on the three monthly declaration. If you are the father and your are NOT paying maintenance, this will impede your visa application as your wife is claiming from the French state as a single parent with financial difficulties.

How old is the child?

I think before you look for more advice from the forum, you need to make it a little clearer what exactly your wife has declared as her 'situation familaliale' - ie single parent or absent parent. They are worlds apart and the CAF will look to you to provide maintenance first and above all.

No this is not my child. She is divorced and child is from her ex-husband. He is paying her maintenance every month by court order 450 Euros.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Clearly, if your wife is in receipt of RSA, she is not declaring her entire income.

850 salary + 450 pension alimentaire + 500 from her father = 1800/month.

In your position, I would be seeking to ensure she regulate her financial position - honestly - before you get involved in detailed investigations for your right to a visa.

h

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Clearly, if your wife is in receipt of RSA, she is not declaring her entire income.

850 salary + 450 pension alimentaire + 500 from her father = 1800/month.

In your position, I would be seeking to ensure she regulate her financial position - honestly - before you get involved in detailed investigations for your right to a visa.

h
She is not in receipt of RSA. She is not getting RSA.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
She is not in receipt of RSA. She is not getting RSA.
In post number 12, you said:

"As I told you before that my wife is not working enough in France she is just earning 850Euros/month but she is getting some benefits like from her father every month she gets 500Euros and she gets some benefits from government too like RSA"

h

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.