Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends
i'm posting on behalf of my friend and i hope that is ok.
He is egyptian born in egypt, his father is naturalised french and married to a french lady. my friend's mother is egyptian ( his father has two wives a french one and an egyptian one)
now my friend wants to apply for naturalisation he is worried about his dad as the french law doesn't allow for polygamy
what is your advice please

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well the first bit of information is that if his friend's father was naturalized in the last 10 years and is denounced, the decree of naturalisation could be taken away because his declaration of non-polygamy was fraudulent.

·
Administrator
50,382 Posts
Your friend may not have a "simple" answer to his quest for naturalization. There are a number of bases for naturalization and it kind of depends on which one he is going for.

If he's going for French citizenship based on his father's citizenship, it's not actually "naturalization" per se, but rather whether or not his father was French at the time of his birth. If everything is by the book, your friend may simply be French and just needs that confirmed. However it may depend on how his father took French nationality, which woman he was married to first and a bunch of other things only the consulate can advise on. It's a long, slow process, even without complications, but his first step has to be talking to the consulate.

If he's looking to naturalize based on having lived in France for a certain period of time, speaking French and being properly integrated, that may go somewhat easier for him. But that would require him to be currently (legally) resident in France. His father's status may or may not cause problems or complications.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a lot for this helpful answer
My friend is from the Egyptian wife. To cut the story His father is Egyptian and married to a french lady and got naturalised and he still works in France. then later he got married Egyptian lady who lives in Egypt and got children from him, my friend is one of them
What do you think Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Thanks a lot for this helpful answer
My friend is from the Egyptian wife. To cut the story His father is Egyptian and married to a french lady and got naturalised and he still works in France. then later he got married Egyptian lady who lives in Egypt and got children from him, my friend is one of them
What do you think Bev
He will have to speak to the Consulate. I'm assuming his father currently has 2 wives and the second (Egyptian) wife is your friend's mother. If that's the case, France will not recognise this second marriage, but that does not necessarily mean they won't recognise your friend; they may just require that his father has formally acknowledged paternity.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He will have to speak to the Consulate. I'm assuming his father currently has 2 wives and the second (Egyptian) wife is your friend's mother. If that's the case, France will not recognise this second marriage, but that does not necessarily mean they won't recognise your friend; they may just require that his father has formally acknowledged paternity.
Thanks a lot and sorry being a pain, but i want to know if my friend declare his father second marriage to the french authorities would this affects his father situation because of polygamy?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did your friend's father declare him to the French administration (embassy or consulate) at his birth? If he did then your Friend should find his French birth certificate in Nantes and he is French. If he was not declared at birth then I do not have an answer for you.
Sorry.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did your friend's father declare him to the French administration (embassy or consulate) at his birth? If he did then your Friend should find his French birth certificate in Nantes and he is French. If he was not declared at birth then I do not have an answer for you.
Sorry.
Thanks a lot for your reply. no his father didn't declare him. my friend has been in contact with the french consulate and they asked about his father's ID card and birth certificate
i will keep you guys updated, i think my friend is french but what we were worried about is that his father is liable for a fine

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry.
Hello
sorry for the late reply
my friend did have a long correspondence with the french consulate and they were very helpful. His father is going to Egypt next month as the consulate asked for the father to be present and sign some papers. please get in touch again by the end of january and i will keep you updated
best regards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts