Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone :)

I have just moved to Paris and am trying to find a decent French Mobile Network. Before moving here I was recommended Free due to cheapness and free international calls so I signed up - the service has been very poor though - rarely getting more than 1 bar and often having no service.

Does anyone recommend a good alternative for when I switch?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Free is good for landline calls to the USA, but as far as mobile phone service they suck really bad, i had them for 4 months and quit the service. Free os mpt true 4g service and the call quality is not good, you get what you pay for.

I use Bouygues and im in Paris and it works great, i always have 4g internet and the call quality is very good. I have also heard SFR is very good to, but never used them, so i say Bouygues.

·
Administrator
51,630 Posts
It really depends on where you live and where you tend to go during a given day.

I've had Free for a couple years now. Love it - but I'm not a heavy user of mobile phone services. Have had no problems with call quality - but I'm outside of Paris proper and tend to remain in the general area. (Will test the roaming service for the first time on a trip to Germany in a couple of weeks.)

Before you go to a subscription service, you may want to try one of the other "cut rate" services to see how they work for you: BandYou (which is Bouygues), Red (which is SFR) or Sosh (which is Orange). They all offer programs similar to Free (and usually with no contract period - you can sign up and change providers with a simple notice period).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses so far - I believe that both Virgin Mobile and Bouygues offer non-contract offers so I would be able to cancel anytime too. I just want to make sure I choose the right one this time so I don't have to go through the hassle again.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I previously used Virgin when travelling throughout France without a problem for mobile calls, don't know how good their 4G network is though. I have SFR 3G (don't trust 4G yet as it's not IMO sufficiently widespread), a cousin of mine in Vitrolles has Bouygues - I have no problem with my mobile at her home, but she has difficulty connecting. So it's really hard to say as it depends so much on where you go and what your needs are. I think Bev's suggestion is a good one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm using Free for my mobile and the connection is great, great fares for intarnational destinations.
You should check, maybe the problem is in your phone.
If you have a Freebox you get a discount for Free mobile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.