Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my family reasearch, I came across this document which may be pertinent. In between the flowery writing and my awful schoolboy French, I am hoping someone will be able to translate. The piece I am interested in is in the top right hand side, Phillipe Sainte. TIA

Attachments

·
Registered
535 Posts
In my family reasearch, I came across this document which may be pertinent. In between the flowery writing and my awful schoolboy French, I am hoping someone will be able to translate. The piece I am interested in is in the top right hand side, Phillipe Sainte. TIA
Gosh .. A very rough translation ..
By virtue of a licence by My Lord Archbishop of Canterbery (sp) I blessed the marriage between Philippe etc etc of St Anne (?) Westminster on the one part and Claudine of the same (parish) on the other part in the French Chapel in West St in the presence of public witnesses (?) on the 10th December 1735.

How super !

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou suein56. Have you any ideas of Claidine's family name, it looks like Sallier. Phillipe Saint, originally Santée I believe, originated in Rouen and came to live in England. The Grandson of Phillipe, his namesake Phillip, had the anglicised name of Sainty, my surname.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Nice document :)
I agree with Sue in the main.
Here's what I made out:
En vertu d’une licence de Mylord Archevèque de Canterbery, j’ai béni le mariage entre Philippe Saint de la paroisse de Sainte Anne, Westminter d’une part et Claudine Seillier (?) de la même paroisse, d’autre part, dans la chapelle française de West Street en présence des témoins soussignés ce 20 (?) décembre 1735
By virtue of a license from Mylord Archbishop of Canterbery, I blessed the marriage between Philippe Saint of the parish of Saint Anne, Westminter, on the one hand, and Claudine Seillier of the same parish, on the other hand, in the French chapel of West Street in the presence of the undersigned witnesses this December 20, 1735.

I think Claudine's surname could be Seillier (?)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice document :)
I agree with Sue in the main.
Here's what I made out:

By virtue of a license from Mylord Archbishop of Canterbery, I blessed the marriage between Philippe Saint of the parish of Saint Anne, Westminter, on the one hand, and Claudine Seillier of the same parish, on the other hand, in the French chapel of West Street in the presence of the undersigned witnesses this December 20, 1735.

I think Claudine's surname could be Seillier (?)
Thank you Lydi, I can see Seillier now that you have poined it out.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Interesting! My guess for Claudine's name is either Jullier or Jallier. I agree with Verite that there's no dot, so probably not an i before the double-l. But compare the capital S written for "Saint" (in the line above) or in "Street" (two lines below) with the initial of Claudine's name where there's no forward curl at the top of the letter. In fact there's an upsweep on the left. (On the other hand, the initial of the name of the priest is J, but not the same.)

Steve, do you still have access to the document? I see that it is called "compressed" and the quality is very patchy because the image has been heavily compressed to a JPEG. If the image could be saved at a higher quality it would be easier to discern the detail. I suppose the original was scanned or photographed, and usually the resolution is higher.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting! My guess for Claudine's name is either Jullier or Jallier. I agree with Verite that there's no dot, so probably not an i before the double-l. But compare the capital S written for "Saint" (in the line above) or in "Street" (two lines below) with the initial of Claudine's name where there's no forward curl at the top of the letter. In fact there's an upsweep on the left. (On the other hand, the initial of the name of the priest is J, but not the same.)

Steve, do you still have access to the document? I see that it is called "compressed" and the quality is very patchy because the image has been heavily compressed to a JPEG. If the image could be saved at a higher quality it would be easier to discern the detail. I suppose the original was scanned or photographed, and usually the resolution is higher.
Here is the image as a PNG, if that helps any

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
So now I'm less sure about the S / J, because the S of St Anne just above is the same; looks like the minister had two ways to write an S. OTH the u/a or ei tips a bit in favour of the ei. So maybe Seillier after all, as Lydi said.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
So now I'm less sure about the S / J, because the S of St Anne just above is the same; looks like the minister had two ways to write an S. OTH the u/a or ei tips a bit in favour of the ei. So maybe Seillier after all, as Lydi said.
Yes it's clearer and I agree about ei after all, a dot is just about visible now.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thankyou for all your relpies, now I have to decide woldhether this is my Philippe Saint as he was born in 1671; this would make him 64 years old on the date of his marriage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts