Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How proficient with French must one be to be granted admission to Vancouver?

Also, a question about primary schooling. My daughter, who is seven years old, does not know any French. Will this make it difficult to get her into a school in Vancouver?

Thanks in advance for any info or URLs.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
You don't need French to live and work in Vancouver. The language requirement is essentially for the Province of Quebec. The same for your daughter's schooling.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
How proficient with French must one be to be granted admission to Vancouver?

You aren't granted admission to Vancouver, you are granted admission to Canada. I've lived here most of my life and speak less than ten words of French so it isn't necessary at all.

Also, a question about primary schooling. My daughter, who is seven years old, does not know any French. Will this make it difficult to get her into a school in Vancouver?

Not in the slightest. She will take French in school but it is very basic primary school French.

I think you are seriously overestimating the use of French outside of Quebec.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you are seriously overestimating the use of French outside of Quebec.
You are correct -- I *am* overestimating the use of French. This is why I joined this forum -- to learn as much as I can about Canada and what's required to move there, and to correct any assumptions I may have.

I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
You are correct -- I *am* overestimating the use of French. This is why I joined this forum -- to learn as much as I can about Canada and what's required to move there, and to correct any assumptions I may have.

I appreciate your input.

French should be the least of your concerns as it simply isn't relevant in a place like British Columbia.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.