Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

This is loga1988 .I was asking questions regarding "French nationality through grandfather " and got replies from you .Now I consulted with a french lawyer and he told he can get the french nationality for us .But he needs immatriculation no of my grandfather from us .

My grandfather migrated from British India to French India on those days and then he joined in french army since he is not a native of french India he was forced to do immatriculation (registration for being french citizen ) and he did that in 1963 ( when pondicherry merged to India) to merge himself and his family to france .We missed that document accidentally .How can we apply and get it pls reply .sorry for disturbing again and again

·
Banned
579 Posts
Pondicherry

I was interested in your posts about your grandfather who volunteered to fight alongside the French in WW2 and your present difficulties in establishing his nationality.

Have you managed to get in touch with the French Consulate in Pondicherry? I think that must be your starting point as all the documents issued during and after the French presence there will have been handled and hopefully records kept by the Consulate. Have you written to them, got an appointment?

You say that your grandfather did “renonciation formalities” which means that he may have taken a French name – do you have any trace of this name?

A livret de famille is issued when a French citizen marries, or has a child. Do you actually have the livret? What information does it contain? It must have a number at the front.

If there is trace of his marriage, even assuming that it was prior to his acquiring French nationality, then there should be a record of this at the Service d’Etat Civil in Nantes which keeps the records of births, marriages and deaths of French citizens born outside France.

If the only document you actually possess is the “carte de combattant volontaire” you should contact the Office National des Anciens Combattants et Victimes de Guerre to obtain his service records.

Everything seems to indicate that your grandfather did opt for French nationality but strangely your father did not benefit from this.

There seem to be a number of Associations in Pondicherry and in France run by and on behalf of the population of “Franco-Pondichériens” who may be able to help you.

Sorry not to be able to help more, but personal records are – thankfully! – only communicated to those concerned or their families.

Good luck – and keep knocking on the doors until they open! Do you speak/write French?

PS Was your grandfather by any chance born on 11th March?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks jenniferllynn

Hi Jennifer ,

thank you very much for your detailed reply .As you said it is better to contact "National des Anciens Combattants et Victimes de Guerre" so that to obtain all his associated records .

Another thing is my father told that my grandfather did immatriculation in 1963 that means after he retired from french military may be to merge himself and his family with the France that document is the most needed one now .Can i collect all the documents by just mailing to the corresponding department in france or shall i have to send formal letter to them

Please reply thanks again for your valuable response

·
Banned
579 Posts
Perhaps you should contact all the administrations who may be in a position to help you, by e-mail, explaining your situation and asking for advice as to how you may obtain any relevant documents they may have. If they cannot help you, maybe they can point you in the right direction to obtain the information you need.

You could get in touch with the Consulate in Pondicherry, the Office National des Anciens Combattants in France and the Military Archives in Pau, France. If you write to them simultaneously you will save time. You will obviously need to give them as much information as possible regarding your grandfather including place and date of birth and the information you possess concerning his army career. Perhaps a scan of the document(s) you have could be sent with your messages.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reg the birth of my grandfather

Hi Jenifer,

In reference to your previous reply, as you said my grandfather born on 11th March 1911 only .Is there any significance or useful thing in it ? Please reply Awaiting your reply eagerly

Thank you very much for your responses Jenifer and thanks for your valuable time too

·
Banned
579 Posts
Hi Jenifer,

In reference to your previous reply, as you said my grandfather born on 11th March 1911 only .Is there any significance or useful thing in it ? Please reply Awaiting your reply eagerly

Thank you very much for your responses Jenifer and thanks for your valuable time too
You said in one of your posts that your grandfather was born in 1915.
I found on a French website (France Libre) a non exhaustive list of soldiers who had fought in WW2. There are several from Pondicherry and one with a similar name to your grandfather but born in 1911 which is why I asked you if the day and the month were correct. The original documents may have been handwritten and mistakes often happen when they are copied.
This is what is mentioned:
RADJOU radjagoba 11/03/1911 pondichery ouvriartis orient caporal
Name / date of birth / place of birth / occupation (skilled workman) / origin / rank

I don’t know if this is of any use to you but it might be worth contacting the site and asking them if they can help you find out more about your grandfather (www.France-Libre.net).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.