Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum, so may have posted this on the wrong forum..please direct me to the correct one if I have.

My step-daughter in law was born in South Africa in 1985, her father born in Mauritius (around 1960) and her paternal grandfather born in France.

Does my daughter in law qualify for either citizenship or any access to EU countries.

If she does qualify what would my step-son (her husband) qualify for?

Many thanks

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Basically, from what you've told us, your step-daughter has no claim on French nationality unless one of her parents had French nationality at the time that she was born. (And it definitely would help if the French parent had registered her birth with the French consulate at the time - though I don't believe that is absolutely necessary.)

Normally, to claim French nationality, a person either has to be born in France or to have at least one parent who is a French national. They don't let you claim nationality through grandparents. Other than that, you need to have lived in France for 4 years (i.e. if married to a French national) or 5 years.

Details (in French) are here: Nationalité française - Service-public.fr
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Basically, from what you've told us, your step-daughter has no claim on French nationality unless one of her parents had French nationality at the time that she was born. (And it definitely would help if the French parent had registered her birth with the French consulate at the time - though I don't believe that is absolutely necessary.)

Normally, to claim French nationality, a person either has to be born in France or to have at least one parent who is a French national. They don't let you claim nationality through grandparents. Other than that, you need to have lived in France for 4 years (i.e. if married to a French national) or 5 years.

Details (in French) are here: Nationalité française - Service-public.fr
Cheers.
I agree. Your stepdaughter has no claim to French nationality. With a South African passport, she will be subject to full Schengen visa requirement (i.e. needing to apply for a visa in advance), and can only stay for the duration of visa validity, with no work allowed. She can visit UK and Ireland without a visa, but with the same restriction on work. If she is eligible for a Mauritian passport, she doesn't require a pre-obtained visa for Schengen countries, and can stay for 90 days in 180.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.