Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

So, I have started the research into what I need to do to start the process for citizenship. I found something interesting on the internet. It said that I can use my:

Attestation Ministerielle De Dispense De Formation Linguistique paper that I received at the OFII. But, it is only good for two years. Now, with how long it takes to get the citizenship here, I should probably start NOW. Clock is ticking.

Here is the link:
French Exam Level B1 for access to the French Nationality Part 1 | French Exam

I can only imagine the hoops I will have to jump through for this but that's fine. Good things come to those who wait. My parents are quite old so if they want papers from them (you never know)I'd like to do it while they are still around as I am sure that will make life easier. I think I read somewhere that someone had to get their parents birth certificates!!!

Anyway, thoughts on this anyone? Bev?:D

Thanks in advance.

AcrossThePond

·
Administrator
51,574 Posts
Not sure what the link is that you've given, but last I knew, they were still pretty picky about your having a certificate to prove you have tested at the B1 level. The OFII paper usually only exempts you from the basic French classes (i.e. level A1 or A2 I think it is).

This is the official word on the language requirement for taking French nationality: Comment justifier de son niveau de connaissance de la langue française ? - Service-public.fr

It obviously depends on what grounds you are taking your nationality - but the two main items they may require from your parents are their birth certificates (showing their nationality at birth) and possibly a proof of their marriage at the time you were born. Theoretically, you should be able to get your parents' birth certificates (depending on where they were born). At least I had no problems getting my Dad's bc - both before and after his death.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bev,

Also, I found there to be a difference between testing with the DELF/DALF at B1 and the TCF Test.

TCF Test being specifically (and easier) for citizenship and the DELF being more comprehensive and more for acceptance into French schools. I'm 45. Not trying to get into any schools and at this point TRYING to simply my life. Right now, I want to take the easier one.

Have you heard of the difference between these two tests?

***Note, I know being international and living overseas isn't simplifying my life:p:p:p***

·
Administrator
51,574 Posts
I have no experience with any of the language tests - managed to get my citizenship before the formal requirement for certification and got by simply because I conducted both interviews required at the time all in French.

Maybe someone here on the forum will be able to give you a bit more information on the tests.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts