Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I went through the process of applying for a spouse visa with my husband. I'm from the USA and he is British so we didn't have any mayor problems. I now live and work in London.

I met a French woman living and working here in London. She recently got married to her boyfriend of 10 years. He is from Saudi Arabia, they met while studying in California, USA. They've been in a a long distance relationship. She is planning to apply for a spouse visa in the UK and she is asking me for advise since I went through the whole process but I'm not sure if I can advise her.

Can she apply for a UK spouse visa for her husband if she is French and only has the French passport?

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
She must apply for an EEA Family permit as an EU national working and living in the UK.

She cannot apply for a spouse visa.

·
Registered
361 Posts
He will have to Apply for a EEA Family Permit in the country where he currently resides.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The EEA FP allows you to work. BUT, some employers will be reluctant and may not hire you with a longer visa. The EEA FP is good for 6 months then it expires.
During the period of validity you can leave and return to the UK in accordance with the EEA FP.
After it expires you do not have to leave the UK, you can safely reside (until BREXIT is completed). HOWEVER, after its expiration, if you leave the UK you will need to reapply abroad for a new EEA FP. To avoid this, apply for a 5-year visa 3 months after your arrival. It takes 6 months (maybe more) to receive it. During that time you will be without your passport (unless you ask for it back).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, I am the French citizen my friend was asking questions for :) Thank you for your answers it's really helpful. I also have some questions about employment and living which are important factors for the permit application I believe. What if I am currently looking for a new position and I change job during the process..? Also how is the living situation important, is that an issue if I am living with roommates but of course I will be looking for a flat when my husband joins me? Can I mention all of these in the application and what is the smartest way to go (stay in my current job and stay in my current flat) Thank you in advance!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.