Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having read atrawickb's comment in another thread "where can i find simple, up to date, information on just getting a carte de sejour?", I'll add to Bev's comment that the French state doesn't go in for 'simple', when something can be rendered immensely complicated...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Simple, or rather, made complicated with a purpose

"Simple" ?!? It just doesn't figure in the 'Lexicon of Terms for the French Bureaucrat'...
I fully commend Frogblogger's comments on the bureaucracy, but when it comes to Visa and other traveling documents, it seems to me that it is made complicated with a purpose which deterring or preventing would-be applicants to succeeding in traveling.

It is rather a bureaucratic engineering genius that has made what is called today "Visa policy". Within the recent years, accumulating administrative constraints for the traveler, the airlines, the family and his hosts has significantly decreased the number of Visa issued (even if due to the increase of applicants, the overall total has increased).

The French have a sort a genius for administrative science, and this has (unfortunately) shown very efficient when 76,000 Jews (97% were Foreign) were deported during the last World war. And 85 000 others for political activism and resistance. It is the same genius for administrative "sciences" that made possible for most French Jews to avoid deportation: changing names, hiding, ...

In our case here, since the last 15 years of so called "government", visa policy has be extremely discriminatory. I cannot even invite my Mother in Law to France on the ground that she does not enjoy a good health. The visa section of the Embassy even asked for a financial deposit against a possible admission in hospital during her stay, which is illegal. But the visa section is not obliged to disclose the reason why a visa was refused, and I was clearly told, that unless I comply, no visa.

good luck, I am happy for your success.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.