Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Wow it's true when they say everything is long and painful when dealing with French policies!

I was born in Australia to a mother born in France and a father born in Australia and I am now 21 years of age.

I currently live in London and my mother and father live in Australia.

Are the following statements correct?

- I am a French citizen by blood
- My mother needs a CFN
- My mother needs to renew her French passport and her NIC
- Once these documents are renewed, I need to apply for a CFN
- To apply for a CFN I need the following:
- 1 passport photo
- Australian Passport
- Proof of address from last 6 months
- 1 full copy of my birth certificate
- 1 full copy of each of my parents birth certificates
- Mothers CFN (copy)
- Mothers NIC (copy)
- Mothers passport (copy)
- Once I have a CFN I can apply for a French passport and a NIC

Does this seem right? It is so hard to find the correct information.

·
Administrator
49,458 Posts
Did your parents have a livret de famille? (Probably yes if they were married in France. Possibly no if they were married elsewhere.)

Also, did your mother register your birth with the French consulate when you were born? (Again, depends on the first question - if they had a livret de famille, possibly yes. If not, probably not.)

And you probably should contact the French consulate in London to get their list of what document you'll need. It can vary a bit, depending on the precise circumstances (like, where your parents were married).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did your parents have a livret de famille? (Probably yes if they were married in France. Possibly no if they were married elsewhere.)

Also, did your mother register your birth with the French consulate when you were born? (Again, depends on the first question - if they had a livret de famille, possibly yes. If not, probably not.)

And you probably should contact the French consulate in London to get their list of what document you'll need. It can vary a bit, depending on the precise circumstances (like, where your parents were married).
Cheers,
Bev
Hi Bev,

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

My parents were married in Australia, would I need to get their marriage certificate?

I wasn't registered with the consulate when I was born. I've read about still being able to register now, but I'm unable to find any details on it.

I'll definetly email the consulate.

Thanks again!

Kelly

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hey,

Wow it's true when they say everything is long and painful when dealing with French policies!

I was born in Australia to a mother born in France and a father born in Australia and I am now 21 years of age.

I currently live in London and my mother and father live in Australia.

Are the following statements correct?

- I am a French citizen by blood
- My mother needs a CFN
- My mother needs to renew her French passport and her NIC
- Once these documents are renewed, I need to apply for a CFN
- To apply for a CFN I need the following:
- 1 passport photo
- Australian Passport
- Proof of address from last 6 months
- 1 full copy of my birth certificate
- 1 full copy of each of my parents birth certificates
- Mothers CFN (copy)
- Mothers NIC (copy)
- Mothers passport (copy)
- Once I have a CFN I can apply for a French passport and a NIC

Does this seem right? It is so hard to find the correct information.
If you were born in Australia, then you will need to work with the French Consulate in Sydney(NOT the London Consulate unless you were born in the UK).

Your mother ideally should register her marriage and your birth with her local French Consulate, for which I believe she will require:
  • A recent copy of her French birth certificate (available free from the Mairie for the commune where she was born)
  • A copy of her French passport or NIC (check with the Consulate as to whether these documents need to be updated)
  • A copy of her marriage certificate
  • A copy of your father's birth certificate
  • A copy of your birth certificate
But check with the French Consulate to find out exactly what documents they require

The Consulate would then ensure that your mother's birth certificate is updated with the marriage and your birth, probably issue a livret de famille, and issue a French birth certificate for you. This will be proof of your French nationality and you will then be able to apply for a French passport.

You do not need a national identity card if you are living overseas.

You will not need a CNF in these circumstances (this is only required if you actually pursue your nationality without your mother's assistance).

There is quite a bit of processing to be done, so be aware that to get everything in order may take some time.

Contact details for the Sydney Consulate can be found here Les coordonnées et horaires d’ouverture au public - La France en Australie

Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts