Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazing to contrast USA and Spain at the moment. Two democratic countries struggling to deal with free speech and democratic process. In Spain a rapper has been jailed for defaming the Crown and singing about terrorist groups. ( In reality hes a bit stupid and naive but young). In America a president has been absolved of any incitement to riot after encouraging supporters to take the fight to the heart of government. Weird isnt it?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Trump has not been absolved for incitement to riot. Basically, the Senate has ruled that a private citizen can not be tried through impeachment process even though that private citizen is a past president. Trump will likely be tried as a private citizen in the Washington DC district court. This will be one of his numerous law suits he is likely to face over the coming months.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, impeachment has always been a largely political process, not a "legal" one, voted entirely along political lines, especially for presidential impeachment. Regardless of your party affiliation, the fact that they managed to get 7 of the opposition to convict is historic - I think Trump is the only president to have members of his own party vote to convict.

There are a lot of thorny legal issues, but Trump will still face criminal and civil cases, some of which have already begun.

I don't think you can compare the bizarre case of a highly political US presidential impeachment to a criminal process in another country - it doesn't even match normal criminal process in the US.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tensions building now within the government over the protests in various cities regarding the jailed rapper. To put it into context this would be on a par with jailing the Sex Pistols for singing God Save The Queen( Its a fascist regime). Or McCartney singing Give Ireland back to The Irish. It is ridiculous. If you cant say things because it offends certain people then you do not live in a democratic country.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you cant say things because it offends certain people then you do not live in a democratic country.
You had me until that. Democracy and free speech aren't exactly the same thing. True, they often go together in our modern idea of an "ideal government", but all modern democracies have some limits on free speech. And sometimes they have growing pains determining what those limits are. I think we have to remember that the current Spanish democracy is only a little more than 4 decades old, not much longer than it was a fascist dictatorship. I would point out that the US democracy is almost 250 years old and it is still figuring some things out, with several landmark cases in the 20th century. Spain needs to figure out its own ideas about what it all means. Arrest and testing in court is usually how these things get "fixed". Let's see how this plays out.

·
Registered
U.K.
8,756 Posts
Yes yes yes. So many people forget what a young democracy Spain is. Doesn't make it right to jail somebody for saying something the authorities don't like. and Spain does have some awkward questions to reply to buy democracy is about freedom of speech and as with all rights comes responsibility...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts