Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just taken delivery of my Freebox Revolution V6, the guy comes on Saturday to wire up the fibre optic cable.
Does anyone know the whereabouts of an English language manual for this thing? All of the plugs and connections are familiar but I know that I'm going to need some info when it comes to setting up the WiFi, Blue Ray Player and such.

·
Registered
358 Posts
they are all plug and play, I didn't need to consult the manuals at all.... whenever I had a problem, their help on the website was useful especially when you combine with google translate !

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
We switched over to Freebox earlier this year - and if there's an English language manual floating around I sure haven't been able to find it. I did find this: Freebox - Configure the router mode. though I have no idea how current nor how reliable it might be.

From what my DH said (he did the installation and config), just about all the config and adjustments are made online via Free's website. And that really IS all in French.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
Why would you plug a blue ray player into a Freebox ?

Setting up a Freebox takes two minutes. There is nothing to do apart from plug in two cables.

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
Why would you plug a blue ray player into a Freebox ?

Setting up a Freebox takes two minutes. There is nothing to do apart from plug in two cables.
And the Freebox itself will play BlueRay discs, as well as regular DVDs - so you don't actually need the player.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they are all plug and play, I didn't need to consult the manuals at all.... whenever I had a problem, their help on the website was useful especially when you combine with google translate !
I'm that strange sort of person that likes to read the manual...
I also like to (sometimes) change things from the default settings, like the name of my network.

The guy from Free was just here to wire things up and the Internet part is going well. In fact, for 70€/month I'm getting 200+mbps WiFi speeds, plus a gazillion TV channels (most of which I don't care about (
), free telephone calling to 110 countries (land line), two mobile lines with unlimited data AND the included Blue Ray player.

In the US, for slower Internet (50mbps), a land line that was free within the US, a decent amount of TV channels (no HBO and such), plus two mobile lines from another company with 6Gb of data per month I was paying around $350/month.

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
My first reaction was: how in world are you running up a bill of 70€ a month with Free? But then I saw the "extra stuff" you have and it makes sense. Bundled Internet/phone/mobile service is WAY cheaper here in France (actually, in most of Europe, I've heard) than back in the Old Country. It seems to be the advantage of not having been first in these things so that the old monopolies and cartels didn't get (quite so) firmly entrenched.

Lots of folks have said that Internet services could be much cheaper in the US, but the established companies aren't willing to give up their rather comfortable margins. And, things were considerably more expensive here until Free came along with their simple and (at the time) amazingly cheap plans. Now, all the big guys have cheap-rate subsidiaries to rival Free.

I think this is how that "competition" thing is actually supposed to work. :bolt:
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
50,417 Posts
Freebox + land line, etc. = 40€/month
2 x mobile lines @ 16€/month = 72€/month.
A great deal IMO.
As I said, once I saw the "extras" - i.e. the two mobile phones and the TV bundle - it was clear. But I've been seriously shocked when visiting the US to see how much folks there have to shell out to have "basic" Internet services, whether they include TV or not. Or just basic cable TV, without any Internet services.

I guess I came over here at a time when all the American expats were moaning about how "expensive" everything was here in France compared to back in the US. For most stuff (electronics, at the time) the main difference was the 20% VAT - which you wind up paying if you order from the US and then ship the stuff in. But now, anything that can be labeled a "service" seems to be massively more expensive back in the Old Country.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Yeah for him to have internet and a gajillion channels for only 72 euros is good. I paid at least $120 back in the US for internet and normal cable a month (no special channels...well, one of those things where I initially had all of them to tempt me, maybe for six months or so, and then they disappeared. And if I wanted them back, I'd have to pay more ...).

And I'm glad you got it set up. I used the manual for my freebox and, I mean, if you know some French I think you could have followed along. They have pictures too. But then again I didn't have a TV to worry about.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think 70 euros a month is HIGH
My Orange deal is Internet, TV (Livebox) box (to receive 100+ channels), phone line (Free calls to masses of countries & France) plus mobile for just over 40 euro a month.....

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I think 70 euros a month is HIGH
My Orange deal is Internet, TV (Livebox) box (to receive 100+ channels), phone line (Free calls to masses of countries & France) plus mobile for just over 40 euro a month.....
Have another look at what the OP has, which is clearly what he wants/requires.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And if you tell that to the youth of today, they won't believe you...
(Four Yorkshiremen)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts