Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience as a customer of Free for Internet, Cable TV and Mobile Phone service? They seem to have good prices and decent service but actual customer experience would be valuable.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I did. What kind of questions did you have? For the phone service, I got their cheapest deal ever (0 euros per month) so obviously I didn't get to do much with that phone plan. But the internet was fine. Actually, for the first month or so it would cut in and out. So I set up a service appointment with them online (took a week or so for them to come out, but that was planned in advance. just as opposed to the US when it happens instantly lol). They came in, and fixed it. The problem was my old building had a fried internet jack, and so they replaced it and all was well. I was like..cool.

Then when I left in 2016, I sent them my letter to end my service and sent the freebox back, and that worked too.

They have an online chat help thing too which I solicited once because I forgot my WiFi password, and they obliged. haha.

So in sum: I had no problems besides it taking a while for the Freebox to be mailed in the first place (2-3 weeks).

·
Administrator
50,374 Posts
I've been on Free for mobile phone for ages, and just switched to the Freebox at the beginning of this year. As you say, they have excellent prices and I've had no problems with their service. I frankly like the fact that you can handle almost everything online rather than having to call and fumble with the language (French and techie stuff) on the phone. Free was the "disruptor" in the system several years ago when they got started, and we have them to thank for the reduction in prices and extension of services in the mobile phone and Internet market here in France.

But just a word about the customer service - nearly every Internet provider here in France contracts out their "in person" customer service, so it varies according to who the subcontractor is in your area. My husband did subcontracting for SFR for a number of years and anyone who got him assigned to their call got excellent assistance and follow-through. We still occasionally run into one of his "calls" in the marché here and they are more than happy to see him and thank him for his help. However, he had no control over how long it may have taken to be dispatched to a call - he just got the assignments online each day based on the times he signaled that he was available. As far as I can tell, most of the Internet "box" providers have similar arrangements with contractors in the area.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
367 Posts
After Orange, then SFR, we changed to Free about five or six years ago.
No problems since then with our internet, TV or 2 mobile phones.
Oh, our server box (don't know the name in English) did get zapped by lightning back in June - they sent us a new box within 3 days.

·
Registered
718 Posts
We switched to Free earlier this year for mobile and internet because our home is in line of sight of their 4G mast. For 20 euros a month we each have calls to landines in 110 countries including France as well as SMS and MMS plus 50Gb data. Because of this we no longer have a landline so do not have a Free box. Each of our phones is used as a hotspot for laptop etc.

When getting a SIM for our own unlocked mobiles we were able to choose whether to keep our old numbers or select one of 5 proposed alternatives. Initially we took one of the 5 , which I had to change swiiftly because of frequent suspicious calls, The process was easy and instantaneous. No more suspicious calls. Having tried Free out we then ported our numbers onto new sims and cancelled the original contract.No hassle.
We did email the help line about the peculiar calls and their reply was received within a couple of hours. Otherwise we have had no dealings, which is excellent :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
have the internet/cable service plus one line for 15.99 (as I have their freebox) and 3 lines for the family with their 2.00/month (facture not prepaid)
When I first installed the internet it was not stable, called them and someone came to check, it was not my problem so they had to check something then it was stable. process took almost 6 weeks (3 of them waiting for my RDV for their guy to come).... but I was always notified by the progress...

another time I felt the speed was not good, another guy came to check again at my place (only 3 days of waiting time this time) and as usual nothing wrong, they had to check something at their side and speed was doubled.

for mobile, as long as you are not very rural you will get good service. sometimes when in the mountains or on the highway I get a no service sign or no 3G but while I am in town service is just perfect for my usage.

The only drawback for their 2.00 lines is that not enough internet and they do not have anything in between the 2 and 16 with extra internet (I do not like prepaid lines)

with my experience and their prices/services compared to others I would recommend them.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our Freebox Player just died. All of a sudden no TV, not even any lights. It isn't the power supply as I swapped it with the one from the Internet box and it works fine. Can I just walk into the Free store downtown and ask for a new one?

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Damn! That sucks. I don't know, in my experience, the in-person Free stores only deal with mobile plans and SIM cards, etc. You'll probably have to rectify this online, or call them, etc. (Maybe the Free in your place is different. But the Free stores in Paris and Poitiers only did phones...)

·
Registered
358 Posts
around me this is possible, not sure about getting a new one but its worth a trial, I saw many people in the local free shop with their boxes. I went there once for a problem in the telecommand but it was just a reinitialization issue and didn't explore the option of a replacement.

·
Administrator
50,374 Posts
Probably best to go to the online Service section and click on Assistance. There you i.d. your Freebox and they can guide you as to how to replace your box. If the local stores can do it, I think you may need to signal to them that your box is having problems so they can arrange to have a replacement on hand for you.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Our Freebox Player just died. All of a sudden no TV, not even any lights. It isn't the power supply as I swapped it with the one from the Internet box and it works fine. Can I just walk into the Free store downtown and ask for a new one?
Agree with Bev, I think you'll need to contact them first because their technical support team will likely want to run a few line tests and also physical checks first to confirm that you do actually need a replacement before they authorise one, and it's not something that has a simple fix/that wouldn't be fixed by a new freebox. It may be obvious to you that the thing has just died but they will probably want to check things like, is it plugged in and does the socket work. It's a bit infuriating when they get you crawling around on the floor checking things that you know work, but I suppose they do have dippy clients who wouldn't think to look at simple solutions like that without being prompted...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After much debugging (plugging everything into everything) it turned out the it was the power cord section of the power/ethernet cord that connects the player to the power module. My local Free office replaced it and it all works now.

·
Administrator
50,374 Posts
Glad to hear you got it resolved fairly quickly. My husband used to do maintenance work for a couple of the Internet providers here and very often it turns out it's something simple like a bad cord or some such thing. He had a supply of replacement boxes, but the main thing was to trace the fault to the box before replacing it.

Don't know if you have seen it, but allegedly Free is freeing up channel 119 for a couple of weeks and will broadcast the original Prisoner series starting sometime next week. Though I suspect the series will continue past the time that the channel is free to watch, it should be fun to see Patrick McGoohan back in action for a while.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Don't know if you have seen it, but allegedly Free is freeing up channel 119 for a couple of weeks and will broadcast the original Prisoner series starting sometime next week. Though I suspect the series will continue past the time that the channel is free to watch, it should be fun to see Patrick McGoohan back in action for a while.
Sounds like fun.
I had the entire series on DVD and gave it to my daughter and her new husband (along with EVERY Star Trek series episode, series 1-7 of the modern Doctor Who, and a bunch of others) before we left.

·
Administrator
50,374 Posts
Sounds like fun.
I had the entire series on DVD and gave it to my daughter and her new husband (along with EVERY Star Trek series episode, series 1-7 of the modern Doctor Who, and a bunch of others) before we left.
So far I haven't been able to get this channel 119. Get an error message with something about inadequate bandwidth or something like that. But The Prisoner doesn't start until next week, so there's hope yet.

Oh, and just so you know, I just tried playing the Rocky and Bullwinkle DVDs that I picked up in the US on the Freebox DVD player. Sure enough, they played just fine, despite being (I think) Zone 1 DVDs. Used to have a "de-zoned" DVD player I used for US sourced disks but disconnected it when we got the Freebox. Will have to experiment with some of my other US disks, but so far it's looking good.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Don't think it was an Aussie series - was made in the UK and premiered in Canada (according to Wikipedia). It's the series from back in the 1960s that starred Patrick McGoohan as Number 6.
Cheers,
Bev
Something completely different then - have no idea what it is and can certainly live without it ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts