Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many of you would now be aware, Macron has now announced a program for the lifting of Covid restrictions via local newspapers that will be published in hard copy tomorrow.

The steps he has announced at this time commence on Monday 3 May, with the lifting of the 30 and 10 km travel restrictions and associated attestations.

The second step is on 19 May with the opening of shops and terrace restaurants, and some other things, though that could still be delayed in some areas if there is an increase in cases, plus the curfew will be changed to 9 pm.

The Prime Minister is to announce the finer details on 10 May.

I don't see much point in listing further dates and associated lifting of restrictions at this time, though it seems that he intends to have most restrictions lifted by 30 June as he is apparently planning to go on the Presidential campaign trail at that point.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Parallel to all that there are a lot of people hell bent on insurrection headed for the capital on Saturday 1st of May

Olivier Véran announces that the Indian corona variant is not present in metropolitan France, although cases have been detected in many neighbouring countries.
In 1986, Bernard Kouchner told us that the Chernobyl cloud stopped at the Italian border, only to find contaminated mushrooms in the Mercantour national park some time later ...

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
What's intriguing me, rather, is the phrase Macron dropped as to his eventual canditature for 2022:
"Et peut-être que je ne pourrai pas être candidat. Peut-être que je devrai faire des choses dans la dernière année, dans les derniers mois, dures, parce que les circonstances l'exigeront, et qui rendront impossible le fait que je sois candidat"

What's your interpretation, BiF?

·
Administrator
49,983 Posts
Ooh, wouldn't that throw a spanner in the works? Though I will admit, Macron has been showing less and less interest in playing politician lately. May we live in "interesting" times - as the old Chinese curse says.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably got another, better offer in the works and is going to introduce tough reforms in preparation for that.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Have I missed seeing when I can invite some friends around and offer them a drink and/ or a bite to eat? Or is that just implied by a maximum table of 6?

·
Administrator
49,983 Posts
Have I missed seeing when I can invite some friends around and offer them a drink and/ or a bite to eat? Or is that just implied by a maximum table of 6?
That "restriction" on the number of people you can have over to your house is actually more of a recommendation. I've been comparing restrictions here with those in Germany with a friend of mine there - and there they allegedly regulate how many people from how many different households can meet indoors together. There is no such regulation (at least nothing enforceable) here. Though the recommendation would certainly be to offer drinks and/or something to eat outdoors or in a very well ventilated part of your home. Up to you (and them) as to whether or not you should control for vaccination or a recent negative Covid test. <g>

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ccm47, thanks for bringing the thread back on track :)

I am hoping that others will ovr time contribute in terms of what is (or not) changing and when, ask questions and generally discuss what they think about the plan etc.

I really did not want this to get political.

·
Registered
'you can take the boy out of Sarf London, but you can't take Sarf London outta the boy'
1,684 Posts
I don't see much point in listing further dates and associated lifting of restrictions at this time, though it seems that he intends to have most restrictions lifted by 30 June as he is apparently planning to go on the Presidential campaign trail at that point.
Political no ????????

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
As many of you would now be aware, Macron has now announced a program for the lifting of Covid restrictions via local newspapers that will be published in hard copy tomorrow.

The steps he has announced at this time commence on Monday 3 May, with the lifting of the 30 and 10 km travel restrictions and associated attestations.

The second step is on 19 May with the opening of shops and terrace restaurants, and some other things, though that could still be delayed in some areas if there is an increase in cases, plus the curfew will be changed to 9 pm.

The Prime Minister is to announce the finer details on 10 May.

I've just seen that we are still running at 30,000 cases per day.

I seem to remember a figure of 5,000 /day being bandied about as the target before easing would be considered. :unsure:

·
Registered
3,948 Posts

I seem to remember a figure of 5,000 /day being bandied about as the target before easing would be considered. :unsure:
Considering the absolute shambles in France of handling the Covid crisis are you surprised that they are changing the rules again to suit themselves? This is about vote catching not public health.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I believe that the figure of 5,000 was the target for cases in réanimation (not yet reached, though the number is dropping as are new admission to réanimation), though there have been so many targets and so many changes it's hard to keep track. Still 5,000 was definitely not the target for daily cases.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Considering the absolute shambles in France of handling the Covid crisis are you surprised that they are changing the rules again to suit themselves? This is about vote catching not public health.
It is a shambles, though I'm not sure this is just about vote catching (however at this stage of Macron's presidency it amounts to the same thing). Still, most affected countries have and are continuing to make political decisions about dealing with the pandemic.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It seems that the 3rd of May ruling is being adhered to, not. A maison secondaire near us owned by residents in 92 arrived a few days ago, and this morning there were 8 cars registered in various parts of the Île-de-France outside.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
It seems that the 3rd of May ruling is being adhered to, not. A maison secondaire near us owned by residents in 92 arrived a few days ago, and this morning there were 8 cars registered in various parts of the Île-de-France outside.
What??? Parisians escaping for the weekend??? Surely not ;)

·
Administrator
49,983 Posts
I believe that the figure of 5,000 was the target for cases in réanimation (not yet reached, though the number is dropping as are new admission to réanimation), though there have been so many targets and so many changes it's hard to keep track. Still 5,000 was definitely not the target for daily cases.
Actually, 5,000 per day (average) of new cases WAS the target, as evidenced by this (and other) news articles from December. France still far from the target of 5,000 cases of Covid-19 per day | FR24 News English The closest they got to that was something like 10,000 new cases in a day.

The decision to lift the "confinement" was based primarily on the approach of Christmas and the desire to assuage the small merchants in the run up to the holiday.

And it's not all that long ago that TPTB were horrified that the number of those in reanimation had exceeded 5,000 for all of France. Now, it was reported at 5675 yesterday - headed slowly downward, but it will be a good while before it hits 5000 on the way down.

Found an interesting site where you can combine various graphs by your selected countries or regions of the world. The comparison between France and India is particularly "interesting" when you look at the "weekly new cases per 1 million population." This one is from a couple days ago - but the top line is France.

·
Registered
448 Posts
... Found an interesting site where you can combine various graphs by your selected countries or regions of the world.
Thanks bev; can you put a link to that? I've looked at the JH Uni site but it never seems to show what I want - maybe the bit you found would help.

As for India, the situation is shocking to the core, and you are right - presenting the numbers per head of population shows a dire context for France. This doesn't really deny your point, but the figures in India are a gross underestimate. There's an interesting - and moving - article in the Guardian about India. Although the author has her own political viewpoint (which I sympathise with BTW).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts