Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought the idea of the EU was that goods were tarrif free when shipped between EU countries.

So why does Amazon uk charge VAT when shipping to France, and this on top of UK VAT already paid UK-side on the item?

I've got my sights on something (weighs about 800kg) value around £5000 to ship UK to France. Any ideas what charges I might expect?

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
VAT isn't considered a "customs" charge. The big question when shipping from one EU country to another is which country's VAT rates apply. Generally speaking, it's the VAT rate of the country where the shop is located or where the item is being shipped from. This all changes for "electronic" items (like e-books or video downloads or music files).

The price you're being quoted should already include UK VAT if you're buying from the UK, but then there are the shipping charges, and I'm not sure which VAT rate you pay on those. (Then again, aren't the UK and French VAT rates pretty much the same these days?)

Or, you wait until after Brexit, when you shouldn't be charged the UK VAT, but rather will pay French VAT on both the invoice cost of the goods plus the shipping charges.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the idea of the EU was that goods were tarrif free when shipped between EU countries.

So why does Amazon uk charge VAT when shipping to France, and this on top of UK VAT already paid UK-side on the item?

I've got my sights on something (weighs about 800kg) value around £5000 to ship UK to France. Any ideas what charges I might expect?

Thanks. I made an error in my post. Should have said why does FRANCE side charge TVA/VAT when items already VAT-paid UK side?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Well I am scratching my head here. I order stuff from both Amazon UK and France and Ebay uk and France.I have never been charged two lots of VAT You pay the VAT when you order and the product arrives .I have ordered stuff from all over the EU using these sites and there has never ever been a question over VAT Perhaps you can give the specific example use because I do not understand this

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I am scratching my head here. I order stuff from both Amazon UK and France and Ebay uk and France.I have never been charged two lots of VAT You pay the VAT when you order and the product arrives .I have ordered stuff from all over the EU using these sites and there has never ever been a question over VAT Perhaps you can give the specific example use because I do not understand this
Yes, I've just taken another look at my purchases.

I think it's mainly about books, which have no VAT in UK, but when shipping to France have tax added.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Are you ordering physical books or e-books? That's where things get confusing. But nearly any English language title you can get from Amazon UK you can order from Amazon France - with the VAT already added in. (And I haven't checked lately, but last I knew you couldn't order e-books from Amazon UK unless you have an address in the UK.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I see now Basically each country in the EU sets its own VAT rules and levels so if you pay VAT in one country you do not pay it in another but if there is no VAT paid in one EU country then if you import something that is VAT free in country X then you will need to pay VAT in country Y if Y puts VAT on that object

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
I see now Basically each country in the EU sets its own VAT rules and levels so if you pay VAT in one country you do not pay it in another but if there is no VAT paid in one EU country then if you import something that is VAT free in country X then you will need to pay VAT in country Y if Y puts VAT on that object
There are real specific rules for who pays which VAT on products being shipped from one EU country to another. And to some extent, it's regulated by the EU for the cross border stuff. (At least the EU sets and maintains certain minimums for VAT rates within the EU.)

It's where you are ordering things from outside the EU for receipt in the EU that things get expensive and complicated. Ordering from Amazon.com for shipment to the EU you get a separate accounting of the VAT (and any other customs charges).

I notice that the OP was in Japan for a while. All the various Amazon accounts are linked, and you are supposed to designate your "home" shipping address. If there seem to be excessive VAT and/or customs charges being added on to purchases, it might be a good idea to make sure the Amazon account has been updated to show their current (in-EU) address as their primary address. It has been a while since I had problems with this, but it's one more thing to consider.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you ordering physical books or e-books? That's where things get confusing. But nearly any English language title you can get from Amazon UK you can order from Amazon France - with the VAT already added in. (And I haven't checked lately, but last I knew you couldn't order e-books from Amazon UK unless you have an address in the UK.)
Cheers,
Bev
Physical books. I'd never fork out my hard earned dosh for this new fangled air book thingy.

Amazon.fr goods are almost always much more expensive than Amazon.uk, so I usually buy in UK and have family ship it over.

Any hints, anyone, on the £5000 (without UK VAT!) item I've got my eye on re France custom fees? It's not a book...:D

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
If it's coming from the UK, then it shouldn't have any additional "customs" fees. If it's actually coming from elsewhere, then there's not much you can do.

IINM, VAT for either the UK or France is 20%, so again, not much you can do.

Who is quoting you the additional fees and what are they saying these fees are?
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
203 Posts
Different EU countries do not have widely varying VAT rates and policies - in fact VAT is a classic example of the prééminence of EU law as it is essentially determined by directives.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Sorry yes they do For example VAT on heating fuel gas etc in the UK is 5% in France it is 20% The UK does not impose VAT on childrens clothes and shoes France does

1 - 12 of 12 Posts