Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all!

I will be accepting a job at a hotel starting in September in London, starting wage of 20'000 pounds a year.
I wanted to ask a few questions as I am a French citizen (lived in the US for 8 years so my English isn't an issue at all)
1) What do I do to do as far as my job? Getting an work card or insurance card? Setting up a bank account?

2) Finding an apartment; I was thinking of going early August and stay at either a friends' or cheap place to find an apartment. How easy is it to find near Canary Wharf in London ? What budget should I have per month? Do I need to have proof of paychecks (even though I won't start til September, I have money saved of course)?

3) My boyfriend is about to pass his NVQ level 3 in pastry, and wants to move to London with me. He has some English skills but obviously isn't bilingual as I am, but if he is working in a pastry shop (patisserie) or kitchen it shouldn't be much of a problem I'm thinking. Is it hard to find a pastry commis chef position in London, for a French guy?

Thank you all !

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
You don't need a work permit in the UK being a French citizen.

When you start your job go to the Social Security or Job Centre office and apply for a National Insurance Number.

When you arrive in the UK go to bank to open bank account.

Google Rental apartments in Canary Wharf to find out about rental costs. Use Rightmove.com to find rentals in other areas.

London is very expensive - have plenty of money to tide you over and for accommodation/utility deposits.

Sorry, don't know anything about getting pastry chef jobs in London.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.