Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and sorry for this long question below!

1) Deduction before impots: I've recently received a CDI offer from a startup in Paris. I'm appointed as a "cadre" and my gross salary is 3450€/month. I've tried to calculate the exact net salary before impots, but different sites give different results. I'm aware that deduction for mutuelle, cotisation is 22%-25%, but I've known from online forums that some companies deduct around 26.5% as well. For a friend of mine who's a cadre, the deduction is 22.9%.

Should I ask my company to tell me explicitly this deduction amount before responding to their offer?

2) Direct deduction of impots from paychecks: I heard that starting January '18, the impots are deducted directly from the paychecks, is that correct?

3) Ticket resto: my job offer says nothing about "ticket resto", but I know it's common for French companies to give. Does that mean they don't provide it?

4) Paid leave and medical leave: it says that "il bénéficiera des congés payés selon la législation en vigueur. La période de prise de congés payés sera fixée chaque année par l’employeur en tenant compte des nécessités du service et de la nature de l’activité de l’entreprise." I'm not sure what does it mean about the number of holidays/vacation days I'll be getting and number of days for medical leave?"

Thank you so much in advance!!

·
Administrator
50,384 Posts
1. The deduction can vary based on the mutuelle the employer offers - and how the cotisation for the mutuelle is split. There are also a few other deductions - like the employer's contribution toward a monthly transit pass (basically half the cost of the pass) IF you elect to use public transit to get to work.

2. Yes, that has been proposed, but there are still a few kinks to be worked out. (At least last I checked.) I think it has been moved out to 2019 - https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/N19785

3. If they have an employee cafeteria they may not offer tickets resto. Be aware, too, that you pay half the price of the tickets resto - so you control how many you choose to "buy."

4. Vacation leave is fixed by law - amounts to 5 weeks of vacation per year, with conditions of how you earn your vacation time and when you take it. (Example: you must take a block of time up to 4 weeks during the period between June and October. You may NOT take the full 5 weeks all at once.) As far as sick time is concerned, it is tied in to some extent with with sécu health cover. After three days, I think it is, there is a sharing of the cost of your salary between the employer and URSSAF which is also legally mandated. You may want to check Service Public for details.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

1. The deduction can vary based on the mutuelle the employer offers - and how the cotisation for the mutuelle is split. There are also a few other deductions - like the employer's contribution toward a monthly transit pass (basically half the cost of the pass) IF you elect to use public transit to get to work.

2. Yes, that has been proposed, but there are still a few kinks to be worked out. (At least last I checked.) I think it has been moved out to 2019 - https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/N19785

3. If they have an employee cafeteria they may not offer tickets resto. Be aware, too, that you pay half the price of the tickets resto - so you control how many you choose to "buy."

4. Vacation leave is fixed by law - amounts to 5 weeks of vacation per year, with conditions of how you earn your vacation time and when you take it. (Example: you must take a block of time up to 4 weeks during the period between June and October. You may NOT take the full 5 weeks all at once.) As far as sick time is concerned, it is tied in to some extent with with sécu health cover. After three days, I think it is, there is a sharing of the cost of your salary between the employer and URSSAF which is also legally mandated. You may want to check Service Public for details.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks a lot Bev for your detailed reply and the links!
For 1) my work contract doesn't show anything about whether I opt to use public transit, and whether they're going to pay half of it. Should I just ask directly about this (I'm asking since I don't want to sound too stupid or greedy)? But in my current postdoc, which i'll soon leave, they've always paid half of the public transit pass per month, around 36€.

For 3) If you happen to have a link of tickets resto, then I'd appreciate if you post here-as I'm not very clear on how it works-can I just buy lunch or can use that to buy dinners or groceries as well? I'm guessing just lunchbut saw that one can buy groceries as well-http://www.grenoblelife.com/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-working-in-france/?

Thanks again!

·
Administrator
50,384 Posts
Your entitlement to the transport tickets depends on the location of your employer and the location of your home. Plus, I think if you get a company car or something, then you don't get the transport support. But it's not a matter of job contract - just of local labor law.

Tickets restaurant are also one of those employer based things. If the employer has a cafeteria or other way to subsidize the employee meals, then they probably won't offer the tickets resto. And they have been clamping down pretty hard lately on when and where you can use the tickets restaurant. Used to be you could buy stuff in grocery stores (and I think you still can), but I know they are now limiting how many of the tickets you can use for a single purchase. Maybe someone here has a bit more current experience with them.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
117 Posts
For titres restaurants, it really depends on the individual restaurant and grocery store. In most major grocery stores you can use up to two at a time, limited I think to 19 euros, for purchases of food.

Most restaurants will only accept titres restaurants during lunch on weekdays but some of the more flexible ones will also accept them on evenings or weekends.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

For titres restaurants, it really depends on the individual restaurant and grocery store. In most major grocery stores you can use up to two at a time, limited I think to 19 euros, for purchases of food.

Most restaurants will only accept titres restaurants during lunch on weekdays but some of the more flexible ones will also accept them on evenings or weekends.
Thank you, this is informative!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts