Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Fosse, as do so many others, but unsure how to maintain the delicate balance properly.

I know we cannot use bleach or disinfectants, and we use loo cleaning gel especially for fosse systems, we also have to be careful what loo roll we use. I have also recently found out that we can use cleaning alcohol for general use.

Does anyone recommend or advise on the correct cleaners and other products to use, and of the correct way to maintain the system.

Thank you.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
You do know to use a sh**-eater, such as Eparcyl, regularly, don't you? Instructions are on each pack.

I'm also told the occasional dead rodent flushed down the loo will also do the job, but I don't know how reliable that is .... ;)

h

Reactions: UkChris

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you hils, I found that out quite recently. I originally trusted the advice of the previous owner, who said to use that roughly every six months!

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Depends which product you buy; some are every month, some are quarterly, some are every 6 months, some are for kick-starting the system after it's been emptied or you've been away for a while ... like I said, each pack indicates its usage.

h

Reactions: UkChris

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is a Fosse Septic equivalent to a uk septic tank or the old type cess-pit?

I have run on a Septic Tank here for over 25 years, and it was only emptied once, and didnt actually need it then

I use Ecover type products for cleaning and laundry, and don't put anything down the loo but white loo roll.

If they are equivalent to a Cess-pit it would be different and need emptying far more often, though I have never lived anywhere with one of those

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Is a Fosse Septic equivalent to a uk septic tank or the old type cess-pit?
Fosse regulations are being tightened up all over France. Inspections are being carried out and if the fosse fails, the property owner is told to bring it up to standard, Nowadays every time a property changes hands the fosse has to be inspected and again, if it doesn't comply the new owner is instructed to make it comply within a certain length of time.

So to answer your question - you wouldn't be likely to buy a property with the old type cesspit, it wouldn't pass the inspection.

Having said that, bringing a fosse up to standard can be an expensive business and some people just can't afford it. I've never heard of any action being taken.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Hmmmm ... yes, about 2-3 years ago, we had the inspectors in to check whether our drainage met "normes" (an EEC Directive) - this is a valley where most properties drain straight into the stream; some drain to a bac-a-graisse; some have a fosse septique (like we do); some drain to a communal fosse. A total of zero out of all (about 1000) properties in this area met the "normes", and few of them would be able to meet "normes" because of the geology and location. It was nonsense for this area right from the start.

Oh, for goodness' sake not even all properties in this area have mains water, electricity supply, cabled phone lines - &/or a mains gas supply (rare). Some ... the luxurious properties .... have tarmac'd access to their properties (treated by snow ploughs when required), some (even fewer) have a doorstep bin collection, some even have a postbox within reasonable distance so you don't have to get out your donkey & trap/huskies & sled to go collect your post every day/week!

As far as I know, no action has been taken over any of the drainage issues, but, I agree, come sale time, it might well come into play.

h

·
Registered
686 Posts
Another potential problem for a fosse is if you are taking antibiotics as these can kill the bacteria which enable the fosse to work.

If you are concerned about too many cleaning products going into your fosse then a steam cleaner may be a useful purchase. We have a Karcher and it is brilliant for floors, bathrooms, kitchen & appliances - and NO chemicals required.

The only other tip I would have is look at the packaging of any cleaning product and check whether it is marked as compatible with a fosse. Some people recommend traditional products such as white vinegar, bicarbonate of soda and savon noir/savon de Marseille.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm also told the occasional dead rodent flushed down the loo will also do the job, but I don't know how reliable that is .... ;)
If you had a long drop back in South Africa the advise was to chuck in a sheep head every two years to get the bacteria going.

We had a cess pool in the UK and my wife always flushed any excess duck and pork fat down the toilet , this seemed to keep it happy. I missed the taste of all the goof stuff but was told it was good for my heart

Tank

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.