Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this forum no longer fits the description above, it has become a free of charge immigration advisory service, most of the time the people requesting advice not even live in the UK yet :-/

Would it not be better to make 2 forums, one for expats in the UK and one for people looking for immigration advice?

It is funny, a few months ago somebody told me that the forum was exclusively to ask about immigration questions!

Oh well, just ranting, I miss the original flavour of the forum.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
That might be a good idea! An immigration forum is going to be even more essential so that applicants get it right the first time, with the right of appeal, except for asylum cases, being removed. Joppa and Nyclon are going to have their hands full!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think the only problem with that is that Joppa and Nyclon are getting hampered down by regulators. They are not meant to give advise on this forum. its essentially just to express your thoughts, opinions and experiences. (as said in the 1st post of the main forum board).

Its a pity because I find these forums so0o0o much more useful than the immigration sites..

Jlms, I am only moving to the UK in 3 months but I understand where you are coming from. I would also like to read and follow threads of expats living in the UK so i can have a better understanding of what to expect.

whatshouldwedo, i like that idea A LOT, but the mediators on this forum may get penalized and then people like me wouldn't be able to get the "support" we need from these sites. Its tricky. but I agree, there should be a group like that, which strictly says, "opinions and personal experiences only" or something.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I agree with you. Giving advice is putting too much stress on our hard working moderators. The problem is that there is really no other forum that helps so much, immigration lawyers are, in many cases, unreliable and the UKVI websites and application forms leave much to be desired.

·
Registered
43 Posts
whatshouldwedo, yes i completely agree..

Most immigration lawyers take you on a wild roller coaster ride and cost you a lot of unnecessary money. I understand if they are just being very careful and provide you with the best possible option. but that can only be said by a handful of them. I've heard of people who have paid double, even triple of what they should have if they just followed sites like these.

You can't blame people for wanting to seek advice from sites like these. Its more effective to receive advice from other people on this site who are willing to give their "opinions" for free and help one another than go the legal route.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
If you think that this branch is bad, have a peek at the Australia branch... now that branch is hard to keep tidy, what with all of the repeat topic threads and the rule violations..... this branch is a well ordered society in comparison.

Reactions: grasshopper33

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
To be perfectly honest, this is NOT an immigration forum. It's an expat forum. And if you have questions about where to find your favorite comfort foods in northern England or how and where to register your kids for school on arrival, ask away.

It's NOT the moderators' job to answer every question posted on the board. The idea is to flag down someone who can help with suggestions or experience, and to start up a discussion. Questions and answers is for a columnist or some other sort of online site. ExpatForum is a forum, and we invite questions (and responses) on the whole range of living in the UK questions.

Ask away!
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
171 Posts
The mods here are the best I've ever seen on any forum, they go well above and beyond their pay grade...!

I would love to see a separate section for Life In The UK, but honestly I don't find it that difficult to sift through the forum for the kind of posts that are relevant to me, and I do consider that the fact that the vastness of immigration-related posts is indicative of what members want to talk about.

·
Administrator
36,522 Posts
The mods here are the best I've ever seen on any forum, they go well above and beyond their pay grade...!

I would love to see a separate section for Life In The UK, but honestly I don't find it that difficult to sift through the forum for the kind of posts that are relevant to me, and I do consider that the fact that the vastness of immigration-related posts is indicative of what members want to talk about.
WAY above pay grade - since they/we don't get paid.....

As Bev said - this was never meant to be a forum for immigration advice - & the moderators aren't chosen for any knowledge they might or might not have

All of us moderators are only here to make sure everyone follows the rules, and maybe point people in the direction of official websites which might help with specific questions - not to answer immigration queries

I don't think we need a separate section myself - this forum is supposed to be about Life in The UK - so just ask away & chat away here

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.