1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
formalities at first entry on 175 visa

Dear everyone,
I have got my 175 visa 0n 7th september 2009
Due to schools of my children I will make my first entry in july 2010.(I am required to enter by 5Th Aug 2010, to validate my visa). I am planning to travel to Perth.
I am a structural Engineer by profession and my wife a teacher with B.Ed.

I have certain questionare
1. What are the formalities I should complete on my first arrival.
2. How much time will be required for those formalities.
3. How much AUD I should carry with me to complete those formalities and also for my stay.
4. How can I search for a job for me and my wife.
5. How can I search for good school for my children when I am in Perth. My son will go in 10th and my daughter in 4th.
5. Where in perth I can get fully furnished accomodation for my stay, which easily connect by bus or train route.
6. How much minimum salary will be sufficient, after tax deduction, for me and my family to live happily. we like rural area.

I will be highly obliged for a practical and detailed reply.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

There are no 'formalities' and you won't have to pay anything. You just walk through customs, they check your passport and officially put you in their system, give you your passport back, you walk through and that's it. No pomp and ceremony, no flags flying, no cheerleaders :lol: TBH after all you've gone through to get to that point, it's a bit of a let down. I have to admit I did shed a tear, I couldn't believe we'd actually made it!

How much money you will need for accommodation will depend on what type of accommodation you are looking for and which area of Perth. I've just googled these websites:

Short Term Apartment Rentals and Accommodation | South Perth
Perth Apartments & Flats : Perth, WA, Australia
Short Term Accommodation Central Perth, Perth : shorttermaccommodation.com.au

If you look at the sticky at the top of the forum page "please read: helpful websites....." there are links to job websites.

Here's the link for WA's Education Department Department of Education you'll find everything you need to know about the school system and you can search for schools.

Perth has just been knocked Melbourne off the 2nd spot for being the most expensive city to live in (Sydney being 1st). It's difficult to say how much you'll need to be comfortable, but there's a sticky at the top of the forum page "cost of living", check that out to see how much it costs for general things like utility bills, food, petrol etc etc. Hopefully someone who's living in Perth will be able to fine tune those figures for you and give you a clearer idea of what salary would be reasonable.

Dolly

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A lot of thanks
I really appreciate your effort
I have to find out more details.
That's true, if the first entry is the way you have mentioned.
any way that's good in another way also that you will not be treated as if you are new.
I will be more comfortable if other senior expats also help me with some more details
thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Naved, have you gone through the sticky on top Sticky List of things to do when you arrive? I suggest you do. it has everything that you need.

Dolly has answered everything else.

cheers
anj

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi dolly need some clarification

Hi dolly,

Need some advice on first entry ,was wondering whether is it ok, if only one person makes first entry?As am married and if atall my spouse cant make it? what could i do for her visa validation?

Thanks
vas

·
Registered
233 Posts
as primary applicant u can make the first entry alone....but rest of the family members need to enter once before the end of validity date.
for eg : validity is till nov 2010, if u r entering in may 2010...rest of the applicant need to enter before nov 2010. if u itself entering in nov 2010 then everyone need to enter along with u....

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi Vas,

Yes, as rangola1 says, you could go on your own to validate but your wife would have to validate before the date of first entry you've been given.

Dolly

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your valuable comments
Actually I was looking for advise/information on medicare registration, driving license preparation, opening of bank account and nay other important formalities we should complete on our first entry.
I would like to know how much AUD and time will be required for these formalities and any other if any. so that I can plan myself accordingly.
Since I would be spending a lot of money in travel so it would be better if I stay a little longer and complete them.
since I dont have job in my hand ,I will try to search for a job during that time duration.
another thing is that since i dont have a job i can travel to any place.hence i will prefer some cheap and easy going place for short duration leave and completeing formalities.
detail advise will be appreciable

·
Registered
3 Posts
these questions are in the forum, I just read them. Doly has written an enormous and wonderful message with lots of info that might be interesting to you. I wish you the best, with an extensive search on the website, you ll get most of the info for sure.
Regards
Jose

1 - 9 of 9 Posts