Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have been living now in the UK for 5 years. Early this spring, my passport for the US was about to expire. So I renewed my passport in April 2017. When I renewed my passport, I made sure that it now included my married surname. (As a background, we married in 2012, I came over to the UK and travelled with my passport that had my maiden name until I need to renew it)

I'm not lying when I write that I was utterly unaware of the penalty of *not* updating your biometrics card to match the passport name within 3 month. Today I have just found out, because my 'Leave to Remain' expires in February 2018. So therefore, I need to take the Life in the UK test and apply for ILR. I do not want my maiden name on any future documents regarding my UK citizenship.

So I have been carrying around, and traveling with my updated passport, and maiden-name biometrics card since April 2017. It's now October. I think I just assumed changing my name on my biometrics card would be as straightforward as changing my name on my passport, which is why I never realised there was a penalty.

My husband and I have just bought a house, we're both earning quite well. I've had no other problems as an immigrant to the UK. This has come to a total shock to me regarding the biometrics card penalty - either paying £1000, or cancelling my visa completely.

I was wondering if anyone has had the misfortune of going through this? I'm devastated. I immediately called an immigration lawyer after this realisation and am meeting with them tomorrow. I'm so scared! I feel like crying right now at work. I feel so angry at myself.

·
Registered
39,247 Posts
While you can be fined £1,000 or have your visa cut short for not updating your BRP, it's unlikely, so just apply with a cover letter apologising for the delay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.