Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible for someone in France on a vacation to buy a 125CC scooter, like a used one ? The rental prices for 1 month is more than the full price of some used scooters.

One dealer I inquired said he needs my passport copy and a electricity/telephone bill of the address and he can sell a 125 CC used scooter. Is this correct ? Will there be any complaints if the police checks and if I have these documents, my driving license in English and an Insurance ?

·
Administrator
50,464 Posts
The reason the dealer needs a copy of your passport and the proof of residence (i.e. in France) is because I think the dealer is, indeed, required to transfer the registration (i.e. the carte grise) for the vehicle.

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1113
And under Immatriculation it says:
L'immatriculation des cyclomoteurs est obligatoire. Vous devez donc pouvoir présenter le certificat d'immatriculation (ex-carte grise) du cyclomoteur.
What they call a cyclomoteur is any two wheel vehicle up to 50 cm3. For a scooter between 50 and 125 cm3, you'll need a category B license. https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F45

But in any event, the issue for you is going to be that of registering the scooter.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So does it mean that when he transfers the registration with a copy of the bill and passport, the registration process is not completed and that I need to do the actual registration myself ? I'm not sure exactly how the process is followed here.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
No the dealer will do everything you will then get the registration through the post it is called "certicat d'immatriculation" or "carte grise" You can drive it on your UK licence but you must get French insurance

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rule says I'm eligible to use my Indian license with a French translation for 1 year period. If not a 125 CC, I will buy a 50CC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts