Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! Good Day!

I'm a Filipino and will be working in malaysia by January next year. I just want to know, is it possible that I can get married with my girlfriend there in malaysia? Is the procedures easy?

Thanks everyone..

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Japanese wife and I recently got married in Malaysia.

It is fairly easy however there is some mucking about you have to do.

1. You will need a "letter of no impediment" for each of you from your embassy.

2. You need a certified copy (by embassy) of birth certificates

3. Copy of passport

4. A certified copy (by embassy) of divorce papers if that is relevant

5. Passport sized photos on blue background.

6. Each of the papers will need to be certified by the Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Putrajaya.

7. Your marriage celebrant can then fill out the Malay forms and arrange the legal wedding at the government offices in front of the licensed government celebrant and also the traditional wedding party elsewhere in front of friends.

Job is done. We were married in Penang. If you need a celebrant please contact me with a PM and I will give you the number of ours. Cost was 1400 RM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Marriage In Penang

3. Copy of passport

6. Each of the papers will need to be certified by the Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in
7. Your marriage celebrant can then fill out the Malay forms and arrange the legal wedding at the government offices in front of the licensed government celebrant and also the traditional wedding party elsewhere in front of friends.

Job is done. We were married in Penang. If you need a celebrant please contact me with a PM and I will give you the number of ours. Cost was 1400 RM.
Hi

Could you give me the details for the celbrant you used we would like to get married there in May also do you have the address/email/ph details for the Ministry of Affairs

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

just wanted to know that foreigners can get married in Malaysia & get their marriage registered there if both the bride & the groom are not Malaysians ?
& what is the procedure & status after getting married ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Need info of your marriage celebrant

Hi Etherus,

My name is OLa, I'm Indonesian and planning to get marry with Canadian, since I'm working in Kuala Lumpur so we decided to get marry here, can we have your marriage celebrant info? really appreciate if you would help us...thx :)

3. Copy of passport

6. Each of the papers will need to be certified by the Malaysian Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Putrajaya.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Rifleman :)

thank you for your info, but I really don't know how to contact a registrar or any celebrants number..if anyone have one will be really appreciate..:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
sadly i cant post my blog.. I am also from Philippine and I am married here in Malaysia.. I write all my experience process to process.. in my blog maybe it can help u

·
Registered
7 Posts
Richellepeh...I couldn't find you blog, there are many.. :(
My question is, are u having same religion with your husband? this is my concern because me and my partner are different, I don't know whether we can get marry in malaysia or no..btw I am a moslem and he's catholic, and we just want to stick with ours..

·
Registered
356 Posts
olala2227 said:
My question is, are u having same religion with your husband? this is my concern because me and my partner are different, I don't know whether we can get marry in malaysia or no..btw I am a moslem and he's catholic, and we just want to stick with ours..
Then my understanding is that you cannot marry in Malaysia. If you were catholic and he were Moslem it would be permitted.
See here
http://www.loyarburok.com/2008/07/10/muslim-non-muslim-marriages-in-malaysia/

If he is prepared to convert to Islam then you could marry.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
oh, my husband and I are different religion also (buddhist and catholic), but according to my fren because she is married also to a moslem, it is need that ur partner must follow your religion, ask her/him to convert and embrace islam, anyway am I correct moslem is also islam?.. if it is.. then you know Malaysia law(once moslem should marry a moslem, if you try to convert they will kick you out of the country =(( ), but if you want to get married without converting try thailand, (my cousin get married there she said it was so easy in that place but, malaysia dont recognize thailand marriage.. so your partner will really need to convert)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Then my understanding is that you cannot marry in Malaysia. If you were catholic and he were Moslem it would be permitted.
See here

Good luck
yeah I totally agree your correct, even in other country (muslim country), cannot marry unless both also are islam .. but you still can ask in JPN putrajaya maybe they cant explain to you here is their number 03-88808130 /8133 usually it takes hours before they answer.. so i suggest go to JPN physically

anyway goodluck ^^

·
Registered
7 Posts
See here
Muslim / non Muslim marriages in Malaysia | LoyarBurok

Good luck

Thank u so much for the link rifleman, I've read it and u're rite..it's impossible to get marry here, will try another way..another country perhaps :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
oh, my husband and I are different religion also (buddhist and catholic), but according to my fren because she is married also to a moslem, it is need that ur partner must follow your religion, ask her/him to convert and embrace islam, anyway am I correct moslem is also islam?.. if it is.. then you know Malaysia law(once moslem should marry a moslem, if you try to convert they will kick you out of the country =(( ), but if you want to get married without converting try thailand, (my cousin get married there she said it was so easy in that place but, malaysia dont recognize thailand marriage.. so your partner will really need to convert)
Thank you for your info richellepeh, it is the same..moslem and islam :) will check for marry in thailand or other country perhaps..and thank u for JPN contact number as well! u've been so kind, really appraciate it :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts