Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good News or Bad? Maybe a little of both...

As reported on CNN this morning and confirmed in a government released document late yesterday afternoon, there are more than 40 countries around the world where foreigners, (and most typically US citizens), can find themselves in harms way and held as a hostage or even killed.

In the US Government document, only two countries world wide have made significant improvements in this area of safety for foreign hostages over the past two years...coming in at number two was Columbia, South America and, (surprise), coming in at number one as the country that made the biggest and most significant improvements for foreigner safety was the Philippines!

Now, I am sure this does not mean that it is any safer for any of us while residing here in paradise but it is good to know that significant improvements have been made. In the case of the Philippines, the US Report states that the areas where hostages are typically taken and held, have been drastically reduced to only a few small isolated areas of the Philippine Islands, (Mindanao and the Sulu Sea area of extreme southern Philippines). The reduction in the number of areas where a hostage can be abducted and held makes it somewhat safer for those traveling abroad or living in the Philippines.

The downside to all of this...

The US Government in all of their infinite wisdom just recently passed a law that makes it legal for families to pay ransom for hostages even though the US Government still does not participate in this exchange of money for hostages in negotiating with terrorists. The new law paves the way for private citizens and family members to pay these ransoms without the fear of being prosecuted by the US Government. The experts say this is a grave error because now the terrorists have more incentive to take more hostages for additional monetary gains to assist in the financing of their wars and terror campaigns.

The best advise I can think of for all of us is to continue to watch our backs and be vigilant in all we do, either alone or out with your family and friends. Be safe out there...the improvements here in the Philippines, though moving in the right direction, is no more than an emotional security blanket and in an actual real threat to our lives, this security blanket will provide nothing more than what we now have.

Wishing the safest of futures to us all...Cebu Citizen.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
CNN May Need To Rewrite Article

Good News or Bad? Maybe a little of both...

As reported on CNN this morning and confirmed in a government released document late yesterday afternoon, there are more than 40 countries around the world where foreigners, (and most typically US citizens), can find themselves in harms way and held as a hostage or even killed.

In the US Government document, only two countries world wide have made significant improvements in this area of safety for foreign hostages over the past two years...coming in at number two was Columbia, South America and, (surprise), coming in at number one as the country that made the biggest and most significant improvements for foreigner safety was the Philippines!

Now, I am sure this does not mean that it is any safer for any of us while residing here in paradise but it is good to know that significant improvements have been made. In the case of the Philippines, the US Report states that the areas where hostages are typically taken and held, have been drastically reduced to only a few small isolated areas of the Philippine Islands, (Mindanao and the Sulu Sea area of extreme southern Philippines). The reduction in the number of areas where a hostage can be abducted and held makes it somewhat safer for those traveling abroad or living in the Philippines.

The downside to all of this...

The US Government in all of their infinite wisdom just recently passed a law that makes it legal for families to pay ransom for hostages even though the US Government still does not participate in this exchange of money for hostages in negotiating with terrorists. The new law paves the way for private citizens and family members to pay these ransoms without the fear of being prosecuted by the US Government. The experts say this is a grave error because now the terrorists have more incentive to take more hostages for additional monetary gains to assist in the financing of their wars and terror campaigns.

The best advise I can think of for all of us is to continue to watch our backs and be vigilant in all we do, either alone or out with your family and friends. Be safe out there...the improvements here in the Philippines, though moving in the right direction, is no more than an emotional security blanket and in an actual real threat to our lives, this security blanket will provide nothing more than what we now have.

Wishing the safest of futures to us all...Cebu Citizen.
Although not a hostage situation; CNN may need to rewrite it's article on safety here in the Philippines. A truly sad story here:

An assistant cameraman of CNN Philippines on his way to work was shot to death by still unidentified assailants in Imus City, Cavite province.
Initial reports from Cavite Police said 29-year-old Jonathan Olden was...

Read The Story Here
{source: Philippine Daily Inqrirer}

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although not a hostage situation; CNN may need to rewrite it's article on safety here in the Philippines. A truly sad story here:

An assistant cameraman of CNN Philippines on his way to work was shot to death by still unidentified assailants in Imus City, Cavite province.
Initial reports from Cavite Police said 29-year-old Jonathan Olden was...

Read The Story Here
{source: Philippine Daily Inqrirer}

How sad indeed! A cameraman, armed with nothing more than an electronic device used to assist in the accomplishment of his job and he is shot dead...what is this world coming to?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
There are many articles on safety in the philippines. anywhere in the would there is danger. no place is 100% crime free. no matter where your at you need to keep your wits and be observant always know your surrounding and be smart.
I just finished reading a article online of the 50 most violent cites in the world 3 of these cites where in the u.s. none of them where in the pi. so for all the people who want to talk about how dangerous the philippines is i would be wiling to bet everyday there are more deaths by some nut with a gun in the u.s.then the Philippines

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
There are many articles on safety in the Philippines. anywhere in the would there is danger. no place is 100% crime free. no matter where your at you need to keep your wits and be observant always know your surrounding and be smart.
I just finished reading a article online of the 50 most violent cites in the world 3 of these cites where in the u.s. none of them where in the pi. so for all the people who want to talk about how dangerous the Philippines is i would be wiling to bet everyday there are more deaths by some nut with a gun in the u.s.then the Philippines
You are most likely correct on the number of people killed elsewhere in the world. That would reflect the vast difference of the population numbers vs that of the Philippines naturally. Also, there are countless killings that are never reported and very, very few are ever solved or the perp brought to justice. A good percentage of those not reported are foreign *tourists* in the hotels of Balibago in Angeles City.

Problem is here, human life has very little value. Couple that with the fact that laws are mostly not enforced and the results are frightening. As little as $200us dollars buys a hit on most anyone. So people have no problem getting rid of a trouble maker or reporter for that matter.
Foreign visitors and expats are at even higher risk due to robbery, kidnap, or just offending someone that has too much to drink.

You have to live here for quite some time to fully understand and even see these things.

Jet Lag

Reactions: Rogdas

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
That's why you need to move to Davao City. It is currently rated as one of the safest cities in the world.
It is rated as such a safe city only because murder and torture is used by the mayor there. So you have a city official who is sworn to uphold the law that breaks the law continually. Remember, he will not be in office forever and when gone so will his dictatorial rule over the place be gone.

There are those that retire there and do okay. However, Mindanao and the rest of the southern islands are extremely dangerous places. So much so that there are endless standing travel warnings issued by the US and other governments advising their citizens against travel there.
Employees of the US embassy/Dept of State are not permitted to travel to any of those places without written consent to do so.
Anyone that tells you that any of those areas are safe, has their facts wrong or has ulterior motives in getting people there.
Travel or live there at your own risk.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It is rated as such a safe city only because murder and torture is used by the mayor there. So you have a city official who is sworn to uphold the law that breaks the law continually. Remember, he will not be in office forever and when gone so will his dictatorial rule over the place be gone.
There are those that retire there and do okay. However, Mindanao and the rest of the southern islands are extremely dangerous places. So much so that there are endless standing travel warnings issued by the US and other governments advising their citizens against travel there.
Employees of the US embassy/Dept of State are not permitted to travel to any of those places without written consent to do so.
Anyone that tells you that any of those areas are safe, has their facts wrong or has ulterior motives in getting people there.
Travel or live there at your own risk.
Sorry to let you down but the people of Davao love Rudy and his daughter. So when gets out one of his family will take his place, and they are just like him. Also I have no problem with the way he does business down there. He uses murder as a tool but a good tool to punish those who break the law and push drugs, murder, kidnap, and rape people.
I remember last year a crew kidnapped someone from Manila and they ended up in Davao City. They were on a Kill or Capture list, and they tried to shoot it out with the police. The last kidnapper tried to surrender to police and they shot him dead, and I have no problem with it.

I say that because we both know that Philippine Justice system is very corrupt to say the least and cases can last years and years before being found guilty and sentenced, even after they "confess" on national tv when they are caught.

I have read the warnings and I know they are true in some aspects, but not all of Mindanao is dangerous as they say. I have traveled extensively throughout Northern, Eastern, and SE Mindanao. I have never not felt safe there. I actually feel safer in Davao City than I do in Manila.

Let me guess you live in Luzon somewhere.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
:closed_2:
Weather I agree with your assessment or not is irrelevant at this point. This thread is into areas of discussion of illegal activities and as
such is against Forum Rules.
As such, I have no choice but to close the thread and disallow the subject matter.

Jet..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.