Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone read the article in the Independent about more visa changes proposed by Theresa May?

It is on the front page of the website.

I would be lying if I said this didn't bother me a wholllllle lot.

(Apologies if this is inappropriate but I feel it could impact a serious amount of expats to the country)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Because of a job I had last year, I was briefly privy to some of the behind the scenes affairs of the APPG on Migration. The stuff that really made my Tier 4 student blood boil, I can tell you. All sides of the political spectrum seem only to eager to make Tier 4s a scapegoat and whipping boy. So, while I do think there's a lot to pin on the Tories/Theresa May, they are not alone in this wave rising against international students.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the General Election was quite revealing in this regard, in an altogether unpleasant way.

Certainly this has been going on many years now. But how new is the singling-out of international students as a quick fix for the 'immigration problem'? I've only been in the UK since 2011, but to me it seemed to really kick off in 2012 when PSW was abolished.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
One argument that allowed international students to stay on to work was competition from other countries. Unless UK offers it, most overseas students will go elsewhere and UK universities will lose out. The higher, £9,000 a year tuition fee for home students has made it less of an issue, and closing this door will bring down immigration/settlement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.