Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
a place to live

Hi. I've lived in France for over 10 years now. I'm married to a French man, work in France (in the French luxury industry) and raise children in France. So, I thought I could be a help to a lot of expats moving or already living in France. <snip> I've 'been there and done that' !
Hi i will moving to Paris sept 26 2011 but can not find a place to live. I have tired hotels apartments everything I have a limited budget of $500-780 for a short stay of sept 26- oct 2 any advice

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi. I've lived in France for over 10 years now. I'm married to a French man, work in France (in the French luxury industry) and raise children in France. So, I thought I could be a help to a lot of expats moving or already living in France. <snip> I've 'been there and done that' !
Hello,

I just arrived in France on a 1-year Visa (my wife is French) and I'm getting settled in. Do you know if I need to make an appointment with OFII, or do I just show up?

If I opt for the 400 Free hours of French classes, is it somewhere in my village do you know? I don't have a car currently and I live in a small village about 45 minutes from Montpellier.

Thank you!

·
Administrator
49,387 Posts
Hello,

I just arrived in France on a 1-year Visa (my wife is French) and I'm getting settled in. Do you know if I need to make an appointment with OFII, or do I just show up?

If I opt for the 400 Free hours of French classes, is it somewhere in my village do you know? I don't have a car currently and I live in a small village about 45 minutes from Montpellier.

Thank you!
Someone who arrived 10 years ago isn't going to have had much experience with the OFII, as the current rules date back only to about 2007 or so. (Actually, I've never been through the process myself, but have kept up with the rule changes and stay in touch with a number of newcomers to France who have been through this.)

You should have gotten some papers with your visa that were supposed to be stamped (along with your visa) when you entered France. You send those papers in to the OFII (address should be included with the papers) and they send you back a letter with your appointment time, place and date.

You don't opt for the 400 free hours of classes. At the OFII, you sign a contrat d'accueil et d'integration (CAI) and part of that contract will stipulate how many hours of the free classes you must take (if any). They usually give you a list of locations in the area where the classes are offered and you can select one of them.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
31 Posts
question about work permit

Hello - I am an American citizen and interviewed last week with a large French company in Lille. I believe they may move forward with an offer soon. What kind of work visa will need to be obtained to work there and how long will it take to get this visa? I am familiar with the H1B visa needed to work in the US. Do you know if it is a similar process? I believe they have legal counsel who will assist but I am curious as to how long this process will take. If you have any knowledge of this and can share I would very much appreciate it…thank you!

·
Administrator
49,387 Posts
Congrats on the job offer - the visa you need is somewhat like the US H1B (but somewhat easier to obtain). It's the employer who has to make the first move - to get authorization to hire a foreigner and to sponsor your visa. When all that has happened, the consulate should notify you about applying for your visa.

How long things take depend on the legal department of the employer and the backlog of visa appointments at your local consulate, but figure on something on the order of 3 months in all.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
31 Posts
work visa

Congrats on the job offer - the visa you need is somewhat like the US H1B (but somewhat easier to obtain). It's the employer who has to make the first move - to get authorization to hire a foreigner and to sponsor your visa. When all that has happened, the consulate should notify you about applying for your visa.

How long things take depend on the legal department of the employer and the backlog of visa appointments at your local consulate, but figure on something on the order of 3 months in all.
Cheers,
Bev
Thanks Bev…that is very helpful!

·
Registered
91 Posts
You don't opt for the 400 free hours of classes. At the OFII, you sign a contrat d'accueil et d'integration (CAI) and part of that contract will stipulate how many hours of the free classes you must take (if any). They usually give you a list of locations in the area where the classes are offered and you can select one of them.
Cheers,
Bev
I took your advice on one of the other links and went to the Marie to ask about French classes. I found conversation and grammar classes and it's only 28 Euros a year! Thanks for the help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.