Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Happy Independence Day America ! July 4, 2015 ! :D

My gift to you...

John Wayne 1970
John Wayne played heroes, but he was no hero in his personal life. Check out his history if you doubt this.

I was once "proud" of America, too. That was a very long time ago: before Vietnam, before the U.S. becoming the world's largest arms dealer, the world's hard handed bully, before the corporate lobbyists takeover of Congress and a few other things that reflect no credit on the country. I'm further put off by the growing ranks of "haters" preaching their poison over the TV. America could use some Amazing Grace about now.

So, a Happy Fourth of July to all those who still feel "proud" that happenstance made them be born in the U.S.A.

Any excuse for any holiday is actually okay by me. Pass the beer and hot dogs.:D

·
Banned
352 Posts
One can only imagine the whitewashed version of US history Wayne offers. He probably offers the Disney version of the Alamo as fact along with Errol Flynn's "Custer's Last Stand". Or one that really gets the patriotic blood flowing through a true American's veins, "The Green Berets".

For those who prefer the truth, check out Howard Zinn's version.

A People's History of the United States

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
One can only imagine the whitewashed version of US history Wayne offers. He probably offers the Disney version of the Alamo as fact along with Errol Flynn's "Custer's Last Stand". Or one that really gets the patriotic blood flowing through a true American's veins, "The Green Berets".

For those who prefer the truth, check out Howard Zinn's version.

A People's History of the United States
And then, how many versions of history tell the story of how France nearly bankrupted itself supporting the cause of the Colonial rebels? Another interesting factlet.;)

John Wayne was a very troubled man in his personal life; struggled with rage, domestic violence, alcoholism and the results of an abusive childhood. What we saw on the big screen was an idealized version of the man we wished he were, and who he himself wished he was.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know it is a sad day here on this Forum when SOBs cannot allow respect for opinions of others and must find a way to continually put down others. This thread was addressed to those people who are Proud to be Americans. As long as this is allowed to continue, it will most definitely get worse.

·
Banned
352 Posts
You know it is a sad day here on this Forum when SOBs cannot allow respect for opinions of others and must find a way to continually put down others. This thread was addressed to those people who are Proud to be Americans. As long as this is allowed to continue, it will most definitely get worse.
If I am not mistaken, this forum is open to all and all have equal rights to post (within the rules, of course) their opinions. No one has disrespected or put down anyone on this board. Just because you aren't happy with our views doesn't give you the right to silence us. That's downright un-American!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
If I am not mistaken, this forum is open to all and all have equal rights to post (within the rules, of course) their opinions. No one has disrespected or put down anyone on this board. Just because you aren't happy with our views doesn't give you the right to silence us. That's downright un-American!
That says it all. It is a thing Americans CAN be proud of: freedom of speech.
One of the original patriot's words ring out: "I disagree with what you say but I will fight to the death for your right to say it". Our right to disagree on this board is precious as well.

Just an observation: Some on here seem to be inclined to serious outrage when their premises are questioned. I suggest anyone whose blood pressure peaks when another point of view is expressed remember that nobody gets to be the arbiter of opinion in a free country or a forum. If you just gotta vent your spleen, start a blog.
:juggle:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am proud, actually DAMN PROUD, of the country in which I was born. Is it perfect? Not by a long shot. But it is still a place, by and large, were the freedom to innovate meets the resources to succeed. And because of that, the USA is not just my birthplace but the birthplace of the vast majority of innovations and advancements in technology, business, science and the arts that all other countries on this planet enjoy.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
That says it all. It is a thing Americans CAN be proud of: freedom of speech. One of the original patriot's words ring out: "I disagree with what you say but I will fight to the death for your right to say it". Our right to disagree on this board is precious as well. Just an observation: Some on here seem to be inclined to serious outrage when their premises are questioned. I suggest anyone whose blood pressure peaks when another point of view is expressed remember that nobody gets to be the arbiter of opinion in a free country or a forum. If you just gotta vent your spleen, start a blog. :juggle:
That was written by Evelyn Beatrice Hall, English biographer of Voltaire, most of the times it is attributed to Voltaire, in either case it was not an original American patriot

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
" And because of that, the USA is not just my birthplace but the birthplace of the vast majority of innovations and advancements in technology, business, science and the arts that all other countries on this planet enjoy".

Any other tunnel vision statements?
Maybe this should be moved to chateria since it has nothing to do with Mexico and it is not going to go anywhere.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
National pride is to countries what self-respect is to individuals: a necessary condition for self-improvement. Too much national pride can produce bellicosity and imperialism, just as excessive self-respect can produce arrogance. But just as too little self-respect makes it difficult for a person to display moral courage, so insufficient national pride makes energetic debate about national policy unlikely. Emotional involvement with one's country -- feelings of intense shame or of glowing pride aroused by various parts of its history, and by various present-day national policies--is necessary if political deliberation is to be imaginative and productive. Such deliberation will probably not occur unless pride outweighs shame. -- RichardRorty

·
Super Moderator
9,012 Posts
" And because of that, the USA is not just my birthplace but the birthplace of the vast majority of innovations and advancements in technology, business, science and the arts that all other countries on this planet enjoy".

Any other tunnel vision statements?
Maybe this should be moved to chateria since it has nothing to do with Mexico and it is not going to go anywhere.
Excellent idea, citlali. Here we go, off to La Chatarrería, of course!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was born in the USA, spent 7 years of my youth in Brazil and now live in Mexico. I served in the Navy during Vietnam, but never got out of California.

I don't have a lot of old-fashioned patriotism in my bones. I am pleased when countries engage in actions I consider good - particularly pleased when it is the US, Brazil or Mexico doing good.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I was born in the USA, spent 7 years of my youth in Brazil and now live in Mexico. I served in the Navy during Vietnam, but never got out of California.

I don't have a lot of old-fashioned patriotism in my bones. I am pleased when countries engage in actions I consider good - particularly pleased when it is the US, Brazil or Mexico doing good.
I put "patriotism" in the same class as religion, and look at all the trouble that's caused and is still causing in the world.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
That is why I used to fine my nephews everytime I would hear "In France we do this!..when they were kids and would come to visit. It is a natural tendancy to take what you know as the absolute best and the only way to live etc but as an adult you should wake up and be more discerning .

I do not quite undestand why people feel proud of being from a place or another since it is the only thing in their life they had no control over. You were born in a place because that is where you mother was at that time, nothing to be ashame or proud of. Every country as pluses and minuses and there is no perfect place.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
That is why I used to fine my nephews everytime I would hear "In France we do this!..when they were kids and would come to visit. It is a natural tendancy to take what you know as the absolute best and the only way to live etc but as an adult you should wake up and be more discerning .

I do not quite undestand why people feel proud of being from a place or another since it is the only thing in their life they had no control over. You were born in a place because that is where you mother was at that time, nothing to be ashame or proud of. Every country as pluses and minuses and there is no perfect place.
Well put. Maybe there should be a fine for expats who express the wish that Mexico were more like NOB.:D

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Reactions: roni
1 - 20 of 32 Posts