Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
How much time have you spent in Tijuana? I am curious about the basis for your comment.
I Used to have relatives there. I really know what I am saying.
I dont think anyone may say it is a peaceful safe, cultural nice Mexican town

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Buzzbar...Yep Playas is a peaceful pretty area Especially if you happen to see one of the severed heads that were found in the Playas area recently. That photo looks like something the Mexican Tourism agency would publish in their slick magazines/websites. I lived in TJ so don't consider it a "beautiful" town by any stretch of the imagination. And your car (and house/apt) will always be dirty with the pollution. And the beaches in the area are some of the most polluted in the country.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I lived there in 2010-2011 when crime had subsided for awhile. Back then Playas was considered "safer" than other parts but not now as shown on that crime map. If you read the Tijuana news (in Spanish) there are daily murders everwhere and Playas is not immune from the news either.

·
Registered
178 Posts
the beaches in the area are some of the most polluted in the country.
As I’m sure you’re aware, Semarnat take regular sea water samples from beaches around the country and publish the results. I'm looking at the latest figures, from March this year, and comparing Playas de Tijuana water quality with places like Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, Veracruz, Acapulco (of course) and Mazatlan. If what you say is true, I guess I must be totally misunderstanding the figures...... :confused2:

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
As I’m sure you’re aware, Semarnat take regular sea water samples from beaches around the country and publish the results. I'm looking at the latest figures, from March this year, and comparing Playas de Tijuana water quality with places like Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, Veracruz, Acapulco (of course) and Mazatlan. If what you say is true, I guess I must be totally misunderstanding the figures...... :confused2:
Buzzbar...Yep Playas is a peaceful pretty area Especially if you happen to see one of the severed heads that were found in the Playas area recently. That photo looks like something the Mexican Tourism agency would publish in their slick magazines/websites. I lived in TJ so don't consider it a "beautiful" town by any stretch of the imagination. And your car (and house/apt) will always be dirty with the pollution. And the beaches in the area are some of the most polluted in the country.
I suppose it depends on what it means when someone says the "beaches … are … most polluted". Does that mean the water is polluted or the beaches are littered with trash. "Polluted" sounds like the water. The study linked above make some of the Acapulco beaches look far worse than Tijuana.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
What bothers me about the Mexican site is they used to use different dates where numbers were much worse but now the tests are done before the Easter and Christmas Vacations happen and before the big rainy season begin...

·
Registered
178 Posts
I’ve read there’s actually a bit of skullduggery going on with these Semarnat reports in many ways, but I think they’re useful for basic purposes like this, to show that Playas de Tijuana having polluted seawater is just a common misconception that you hear often from people who rely on info from relatives or memories of time spent there years ago.

Beauty is subjective of course, but if people take the time to look at relevant available facts, it's clear Tijuana isn't as bad as some try to paint it. Along with anecdotal experiences of an individual that usually aren't reflective of the broader reality, there are two other factors that count against Tijuana.

First is the number of media articles that quote raw numbers, rather than rates. Tijuana is a city of 1.3 million people, so if you’re looking for negative stats it usually isn’t hard to quote numbers about Tijuana that on the surface look alarming. But when you convert the figures to, say, a rate per 100,000 people it usually tells a very different story.

Secondly, there will always be periodic spikes in the violence and murder rate due to skirmishes between local drug operators. For example May this year saw a battle for control of the drug trade in Zona Norte, the red light district. It was a localized battle between local cells. So no way I’d be wandering around Zona Norte at night, but the fact that two people murdered as part of this intra-Cartel fight had their heads removed and later dumped by the side of the road leading to Playas de Tijuana certainly doesn’t make me think that Playas has suddenly turned unsafe.

Like every town and city in Mexico I guess, where you’ll be happy depends on what you’re looking for. If a Mexican dream is all about historic colonial buildings and impressive architecture, or a quiet sleepy life in a small town, or living in a huge ****** enclave with all the comforts of the old country, then Tijuana isn’t a place you’ll enjoy.

But if you’re looking for a place with a bit of an edge and excitement to it, somewhere that has a world renowned culinary scene, where the arts and music are flourishing and your comfort level is such that you’re not frightened off by the fact that it’s a border city and will always have issues of cartels and drugs, then Tijuana just might be a place you’ll love.

·
Registered
727 Posts
With all this back and forth, what is the climate of Tijuana like? It is nearly identical to its neighbor San Diego, 360 days of sunshine, mid-80s and low humidity? If not, what?

·
Super Moderator
9,000 Posts
I guess I don't want to get started on writing about all the bad things of Tijuana.
I could wear out my iPad screen
Oh, come on, Gary, just give us a couple of examples. For me the worst thing about Tijuana would be that it's so close to the US and so far away from the rest of Mexico!

·
Registered
178 Posts
With all this back and forth, what is the climate of Tijuana like? It is nearly identical to its neighbor San Diego, 360 days of sunshine, mid-80s and low humidity? If not, what?
But you gotta at least admit the climate is nice Gary! San Diego has temperature variations in the valleys, further up the coast and inland, but if you compare San Diego downtown’s climate to Tijuana there wouldn’t be much difference. Sunny, mild the year round, not much rain and never oppressively hot. The days on the coast often start out with some fog for a couple of hours before the sun breaks thru. And it’s a dry heat – I can’t stand humidity and can only recall about five days in the past year where Tijuana's got a bit hot and steamy.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Oh, come on, Gary, just give us a couple of examples. For me the worst thing about Tijuana would be that it's so close to the US and so far away from the rest of Mexico!
Other than being unsafe, ugly, not cultural, border town, narco nest, with not the nicest cultured people living or visiting?

·
Super Moderator
Guadalajara, México
7,056 Posts
Other than being unsafe, ugly, not cultural, border town, narco nest, with not the nicest cultured people living or visiting?
unsafe - Could be said of many cities, north and south of border
ugly - A subjective opinion
not cultural - It does seem to lack a central plaza and the history of some places
border town - Hard to debate that
narco nest - See unsafe
not the nicest people - This seems really unfair. There must be lots of nice people in TJ, just as there are probably some nice people in DF. :)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
unsafe - Could be said of many cities, north and south of border ugly - A subjective opinion not cultural - It does seem to lack a central plaza and the history of some places border town - Hard to debate that narco nest - See unsafe not the nicest people - This seems really unfair. There must be lots of nice people in TJ, just as there are probably some nice people in DF. :)
You see why I did not want to elaborate in the subject?
I rest my case

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.