Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I'm Ava and Mexico is one of the few countries I am looking into the possibility of moving to from the United States which I have wanted to do for a LONG time. I have a son who is 10 yo and deaf but can hear with his cochlear implants, and kids in the US I have just found to be very cold and unfriendly to him when he tries to make friends because he is different. So it's become a primary objective for me when considering where we will go next is that family life is valued and kids are more friendly and less materialistic and snitty in that particular locale. This has made me become a lot more open to the idea of Mexico.

For people who live there where have you found the most open and friendly attitudes from peers that make it easier for children to acclimate to the change? Also we are Vegan, and I'm realistic- I am not expecting tons of Vegan restaurants in latin america lol but are there areas where I can go to a store and get tofu, or more metropolitan areas where there are some ethnic restaurants such as Indian and Thai which traditionally offer Veg options?

And I do make okay $ working remotely but the REALLY 'spensive areas I would rather avoid. Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
:welcome: to the Mexico Forum!

Some questions for you, as we begin this discussion:

1. Have you previously visited Mexico and/or spent an extended period of time in-country?

2. What level of Spanish-language fluency do you and your son posses?

3. If this will be an extended stay (i.e., establishing residency in Mexico), have you reviewed the requirements (particularly financial thresholds) to obtain a residency visa?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the Welcome!

Visited yes, but not an extended period of time, and near to the border which isn't the region I'd likely chose to live. I'm mainly basing my top contenders on demographic info I'm getting from the net and books like "Getting Out: Your Guide To Leaving America" but really understanding what life is like somewhere can't be obtained without talking to lots of people who live there. I certainly would not move anywhere officially without spending an extended stay either so I'm in the narrowing down realistic possibilities stage. Appreciate the advice from people on threads like this who are living the life abroad and can dish the truth.

To answer the others- we do not know Spanish but will learn (we are already bilingual- English and ASL lol, I'm confident we can take on Spanish) if we relocated. I would learn the language of ANY nation I relocated to, it's a respect thing for me, personally. And yes I do know what the residency requirements are and I do have the income to meet them (Mexico City is a little weird with it's rules about needing someone who lives there to vouch for you with their own property on the line, but otherwise it's not bad at all).

Any responses as per my query Longford? :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Kids are kids and not necessarily nicer here. No Spanish and can't hear well sounds like home schooling and a close circle of friends.

Vegan .... probably ****** enclaves for restaurants more than pure Mexican. Lots of good food in markets if you can cook in house

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
"Kids are kids and not necessarily nicer here." I'm not sure about that. Culture effects a lot relative to children's behavior. There are places that for example place a much greater emphasis on wearing high price brands in order to be acceptable, and other places where children are less materialistic (likely as a result of being less financially prosperous, but nevertheless). Also as I said we WOULD know Spanish before we moved and my son can hear fine with his cochlear implants. This is not something I'm planning on doing tomorrow. I might choose to home school but I'm certainly not assuming less socialization because we'd be living somewhere new.

It's just not acceptable to me the idea that the majority kids are aholes to other kids who have cochlear hearing aids on and/or don't have as much $ because they are different. I have to believe family values are improved from the US in other parts of the planet- I guess I am an optimist! ;)

Any specific suggestions for "****** enclaves" lol? Somewhere like san miguel de allende?

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
Kids are kids and not necessarily nicer here.
I've observed similar to what you have.

Vegan .... probably ****** enclaves for restaurants more than pure Mexican. Lots of good food in markets if you can cook in house
I think Mexico is a great place for vegans, vegetarians, etc., because of the year-round availability of so many different types of vegetables. I think one could live in many places other than "****** enclaves".

·
Super Moderator
8,983 Posts
Regarding being a vegan in Mexico, at least one forum member is a vegan and has lived here several years, so hopefully he will be posting soon and can give you some advice about the practicalities of following a vegan lifestyle in this country.

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
"Kids are kids and not necessarily nicer here." I'm not sure about that. Culture effects a lot relative to children's behavior.
Public schools are, generally, not very good in Mexico. And from what we've learned in recent articles about the hundreds of thousands of persons who've returned to Mexico from the USA in recent years ... many children have had a rough go of it and have not been treated kindly by other students.

There are places that for example place a much greater emphasis on wearing high price brands in order to be acceptable, and other places where children are less materialistic (likely as a result of being less financially prosperous, but nevertheless).
Children who are born into families in Mexico where the parents have good jobs are as materialistic as their peers up north. Materialism is alive and well, in Mexico. Children from poorer families will, obviously, be less so (but the desire will still be there, I think).

Also as I said we WOULD know Spanish before we moved and my son can hear fine with his cochlear implants. This is not something I'm planning on doing tomorrow. I might choose to home school but I'm certainly not assuming less socialization because we'd be living somewhere new.
Yes, socialization is imperative, if a move such as this is to be successful.

I have to believe family values are improved from the US in other parts of the planet- I guess I am an optimist! ;)
I don't see much difference in the "family values" comparing the USA with Mexico.

Thanks for your feedback. You're going to receive lots of comments, some you may not like to hear ... but I think everyone contributing will be offering "advice" from their particular life experience/perspective ... which may be different than yours. :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Mexicali has tons of Chinese and even our little town has Japanese and Chinese.

There is vegan and vegan .... some fish is OK, some dairy is OK ..... and some is only no red meat. Tofu you may have to go to Walmart or other big box stores

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you for the detailed response, Longford, appreciate that! I'm not looking for someone to tell me "yes Mexico is the perfect place for you" or any other country. To me the bare minimum qualifications of a new nation would be that I can eat there, it's possible to emigrate to (a lot of the best countries are waaaay out of my financial and career ability to get approved for living in), and I'd like to move to a place where kids are more social with other kids in a nice way. I have heard that many times about Belize, that native children are very welcoming of expat kids, so I know there IS a difference in that area in some places. Schools do not have to be good if I can home school without trouble, wherever it is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ sparks the only thing that is really Vegan is NO animal product consumption. There are various forms of vegetarianism but there is only one actual Vegan. I would definitely count on being the odd man out in that area wherever I lived but it would be nice to be able to find some places to eat occasionally out like indian or thai food. Mexico City actually has 70 vegan friendly restaurants according to the Happy Cow website! :)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Public schools are, generally, not very good in Mexico. And from what we've learned in recent articles about the hundreds of thousands of persons who've returned to Mexico from the USA in recent years ... many children have had a rough go of it and have not been treated kindly by other students.

Children who are born into families in Mexico where the parents have good jobs are as materialistic as their peers up north. Materialism is alive and well, in Mexico. Children from poorer families will, obviously, be less so (but the desire will still be there, I think).

Yes, socialization is imperative, if a move such as this is to be successful.

I don't see much difference in the "family values" comparing the USA with Mexico.

Thanks for your feedback. You're going to receive lots of comments, some you may not like to hear ... but I think everyone contributing will be offering "advice" from their particular life experience/perspective ... which may be different than yours. :)
Do you live in Mexico?
Did you bring your family to Mexico?
What experience do you have for raising kids in Mexico?

·
Registered
378 Posts
When I taught school in Mexico (many years ago, now,) I did not find children and teens to be any less cruel toward their peers than their counterparts in the US. This was especially true in regard to perceived "differentness."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gary J please see my initial post and responses on page 1 I have answered those questions already. :) Thanks!

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Kids are kids and there is plenty of bullying in the schools and teasing of kids who are different. I know several kids who do not want to wear glasses because the other kids tease them and call them "4 eyes".
Belize is not Mexico and people there speak English so communication with expat kids is easier.

·
Registered
924 Posts
You didn’t mention whether your research had turned up the fact that Mexican sign language (LSM) is the language of the Deaf community in Mexico, and it is unrelated to ASL. That is also something to take into consideration.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
"Kids are kids and not necessarily nicer here." I'm not sure about that. Culture effects a lot relative to children's behavior. There are places that for example place a much greater emphasis on wearing high price brands in order to be acceptable, and other places where children are less materialistic (likely as a result of being less financially prosperous, but nevertheless). Also as I said we WOULD know Spanish before we moved and my son can hear fine with his cochlear implants. This is not something I'm planning on doing tomorrow. I might choose to home school but I'm certainly not assuming less socialization because we'd be living somewhere new.

It's just not acceptable to me the idea that the majority kids are aholes to other kids who have cochlear hearing aids on and/or don't have as much $ because they are different. I have to believe family values are improved from the US in other parts of the planet- I guess I am an optimist! ;)

Any specific suggestions for "****** enclaves" lol? Somewhere like san miguel de allende?
Yep. You are an optimist, but that's not a bad thing.

I lived in San Miguel de Allende for three years, and I understand that there is good schooling available for expats. The public schools are not as good.
It's a nice place to live if you can handle high altitudes. Like most mountain areas, winters are chilly; summers hot.

People, including the kids, are just as materialistic as they are in the U.S. Bear in mind that the world is now a global village, with the internet ruling all, so the attitudes and values are spread everywhere.

Excellent shopping. Caters to tourists, so there are many choices in restaurants.

Housing, both sales and rentals are reasonable if you don't live in Centro, where the prices are ridiculous. I lived in a Mexican neighborhood on one of the surrounding hills. The air was cleaner than downtown, where there are too many cars circling round and round looking for a parking place. Be prepared for noise; block parties, firecrackers and all. That's just Mexico.

All in all, I'd guess San Miguel would be a good fit for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@maesonna Did not mention it but as a HOH person who grew up with a deaf family my auto response is "of course there's a different sign language" and I would take that into account which is why I didn't bring it up. :) ASL is only primarily signed in the United States ("American" Sign Language), there are different signs for different nations... however the letters are usually the same, including for LSM. One thing that I learned about Mexico that attracted me to it was that often deaf children's families do not know sign language and they are very isolated socially. I thought that might be something I could come up with a way to help with somehow.

@lagoloo very helpful response thank you so much! And solid point about the 'global village' mindset due to widespread technology. I'm not sure I'm super pleased with that in the materialism sense but it is a good reality check.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I just picked up the local paper for the lake Chapala area where there was an article about how the first thing young folks do in the morning and the last thing at night is log into Facebook, so there you go.

Personally, I am a Facebook hater. We have little privacy left in our lives, so who needs bots collecting Facebook postings that may come back to haunt us years later, and who needs to be "connected" to 400 "friends"? It seems a little nuts, but then, I'm definitely a minority opinion on that one. When I want to "connect" with someone I have actually met, I write an email or use the phone. Old fashioned? You bet.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.