Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a difficult time adjusting my cooking to what is available to me since I moved to Egypt. So I thought I'd ask you guys for some of your favorite recipes.

Here's one of mine.

Buy chicken wings from Carrefour (they come in a pack from 15 to 20 wings).

Mix 1 tablespoon curry, 1 teaspoon chili (depending on the potency of the powder), 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 cup of oil. Put in a bowl and refrigerate for about 6 hours so the spices will permeate the chicken. Mix every once in a while. Place in a pan (round one is nice with tips pointing to the middle) and pour excess oil/spices on top. Bake at medium temperature for 2 hours.

YUMMY!

I know this doesn't sound like much, but it's one of my husband's and my favorites even though it's simple and labor non-intensive.

By the way, someone once mentioned they found the little chocolate chips from the USA. WHERE???? If you have the right recipe these can be wonderful (chocolate chip cookies, brownies with chocolate chunks, congo bars). The semi sweet chips are good with very sweet batters as they balance each other out. If they're milk chocolate they work very nice for the same recipes but also nice chocolate covered strawberries. When I go back home I always bring these back. I'm out!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have had a difficult time adjusting my cooking to what is available to me since I moved to Egypt. So I thought I'd ask you guys for some of your favorite recipes.

By the way, someone once mentioned they found the little chocolate chips from the USA. WHERE???? If you have the right recipe these can be wonderful (chocolate chip cookies, brownies with chocolate chunks, congo bars).

After being here for a while now I have found that with a little perseverence and adapting I can make most of what i used to in the uk, doesn't always taste exactly the same but its close. You just have to know where to find stuff, i got a bit excited the other day after finding raisins in Carrefour, had them in Sharm a couple of times and then they disappeared.
Instead of using chocolate chips, usually unavailable here, I just chop up regular cooking chocolate, works just as well.
Happy cooking!!

·
Banned
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After being here for a while now I have found that with a little perseverence and adapting I can make most of what i used to in the uk, doesn't always taste exactly the same but its close. You just have to know where to find stuff, i got a bit excited the other day after finding raisins in Carrefour, had them in Sharm a couple of times and then they disappeared.
Instead of using chocolate chips, usually unavailable here, I just chop up regular cooking chocolate, works just as well.
Happy cooking!!
I've done that with baking chocolate also. We only go to Carrefour once every month or two. I've learned how to make my own mayonnaise, pickles, jam (brought back pectin from the USA), juice, and garlic puree that can be frozen.

Does anyone know where you can get pectin (homemade jellys and jams are so much better).

The chicken and meat can be a bit tough at times so I've figured you have to boil most of it for an hour before cooking (unless you do a braze and then just up the time by an hour).

I keep all my larger jars so when the raisins are in season it'll store for a long time.

I've also figured out how to dry fruit in my house (yes it's that hot in here) and it's legal to bring dried fruit back to the USA and my family loves it as many of them are into healthy foods. Mom begs me to make dried mishmish.

I really do love cooking! and thanks, I will be happy cooking because that's the only way it tastes good.

Really was looking for recipes with locally available things. No sweets recipes please, as I have hundreds of them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts