Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oh dear, Oh dear, Oh dear !!!

Looks like the Brexiteers dreams of controlling immigration into the UK from the EU are about to be blown
apart, bigtime !!!
Thanks to the Irish questiion.
As EU citizens will still enjoy freedom of movement and employment in the UK by working their 'Irish ticket'
Yes you guessed it, there's absolutely nothing to stop a citizen from the EU moving to the Irish Republic
and putting in the required number of years, to apply for Irish citizenship and with it their very own
Irish Passport.

After which the EU citizen, who has also become a newly endowed Irish citizen, will be blessed with
an Irish Passport with which to move freely in the UK, living where he or she pleases, without any
constraints to employment, healthcare and the right to vote in British elections, etc, etc.

Yes all this is likely to come to pass - after final Brexit.

Finally, of course the reverse is also true - for instance a British citizen who would dearly like to retire to
Spain but without the minimum income constraints and other non EU-citizen constraints and loopholes,
he or she is likely to encounter after final Brexit.
Can also work their 'Irish ticket' - for instance if they were going to retire early anyway before finally
settling down in Spain - then they would naturally spend their early retirement years in Southern Ireland
to work ( or put in their 5 years or how ever long it takes ) for their Irish citizenship and passport;
for them to be regarded as bona fide EU citizens of the Irish Republic - before planning their final
move to Spain.

The fringe benefit for Brits who might renounce their British citizenship for Irish citizenship, is that
it will not matter one jot, if they were to find that their new life in Spain, simply wasn't for them -
as they can easily return to the UK and take up permanent residency again ( using their Irish Passport )
with little or no hassle from the British immigration authorities.

Anyway - from what I can gather that's the way I see it - although there will no doubt be replies
to my post and this thread who might say otherwise.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Of course I forgot to add that there are any number of people from many other countries of the world ( not just those from the UK or an EU country ) who can claim Irish citizenship and an Irish Passport by virtue of them
being born of Irish parents or even Irish grandparents - which no doubt include those parents and grandparents
born in Northern Ireland as well.
For them, in many cases they don't need to come and settle in Ireland to become an Irish citizen with an Irish Passport.

Irish Citizens advice - Irish Citizenship through birth or descent

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
A bit premature to speculate on what the Irish border will look like post-Brexit. The British government is only now publishing its position statement on the issue. Then it will have to be negotiated with the EU.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business...to-release-key-brexit-policy-papers-1.3184057

That piece is all about trade and goods across the Irish border - nothing about the record number of new Irish
nationals armed with their Irish passports. I'm sure the following article from The Independent is more relevant
to this particular subject.

The Independent - Record number of Brits worldwide have applied for Irish Passports

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That piece is all about trade and goods across the Irish border - nothing about the record number of new Irish
nationals armed with their Irish passports. I'm sure the following article from The Independent is more relevant
to this particular subject.

The Independent - Record number of Brits worldwide have applied for Irish Passports

Here's another newspaper on the subject - again from the British citizens angle of how to keep your EU Citizenship
after Brexit.

Daily Mirror - Britiish but want to stay European ? here's how

1 - 5 of 5 Posts